2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can't find Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Jeff229 is on a distinguished road
Default Can't find Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Hello All,
Been reading the threads. Having a common problem with my gas tank only being able to fill at a trickle. Want to replace the Vapor Canister Purge Valve but can't find it. I've seen some threads locating it on the 4-door, but my 2003 Blazer is a 2-door.

Crawled under the truck this weekend but couldn't find it. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff
2003 Chevy Blazer LS 2-Door
60,000 miles

Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

both of those were on the forum.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Jeff229 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for response but whatever you posted isnt loading properly.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Purge solenoid is on the intake manifold on the passenger side near the big aluminum heatsink (ICM). The vent solenoid is on a cross-piece in back of the fuel tank. To get at it you have to remove the big cover under the rear of your truck. (on a 2000 anyhow)

Old 02-01-2010, 03:53 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

if i remember correctly it's on the frame in the same location for you...

sorry man, my wirk filters are making linking a nightmare....

courtesy of one mr. swartlkk... i think <-- click the link

also this is a test for it

sorry i'm sort of hobbled right now...

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-01-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

THIS POST should help you find the vent solenoid. As RonJon stated, the purge solenoid is on the intake manifold next to the ICM.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RonJon
Purge solenoid is on the intake manifold on the passenger side near the big aluminum heatsink (ICM). The vent solenoid is on a cross-piece in back of the fuel tank. To get at it you have to remove the big cover under the rear of your truck. (on a 2000 anyhow)
Would a bad Purge Solenoid ( intake manifold) give me a 441 or a 440 Code? 'Slight leak'

I suspected the troublesome Vent Solenoid (by spare tire), cleaned it and it works fine. still get the code.
The hose going to this Purge Solenoid fits very loose. Looks like it should almost snap on the Solenoid but just pushes on super loose.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you verify that the vent solenoid could actually hold a vacuum (with a vacuum gauge/pump)? The last one I replaced held a nice vacuum for a little bit, but then would slowly decrease to the tune of about 1in-hg per minute.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Did you verify that the vent solenoid could actually hold a vacuum (with a vacuum gauge/pump)? The last one I replaced held a nice vacuum for a little bit, but then would slowly decrease to the tune of about 1in-hg per minute.
If you are responding to me, I didn't get sophisticated, i blew through it, it held. I put voltage to it, it released...Or Vise Verse

Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Yes, I was responding to you and if you blew through it, you didn't really test it how it is used in the vehicle.

And possible causes for a small leak include a bad seal between the fuel pump and tank, a pin hole in a rubber hose anywhere in the EVAP system, a faulty seal in the vent solenoid, or a bad gas cap seal.

The Purge solenoid, if leaking, should trigger a different code as it wouldn't be a leak in the sense of decreasing the vacuum in the system. If it would leak, it would increase the vacuum pulled on the system.

Quick Reply: Can't find Vapor Canister Purge Valve