2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Code P0171 and Leaking underneath

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:28 AM
GMC_Jimmy_13 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Code P0171 and Leaking underneath

Service soon light came on and i pulled the code to get a p0171, meaning the fuel is lean. Here's the symptoms:
- running a lil rough and not as responsive when i push the gas petal like normal and idle is rough.
-I can smell burnt fuel (my guess is its leaking somewhere and fall on the engine when its hot?)
- Gas mileage SUCKS
-it seems to leak like near the oil drain plug but it cant be oil (checked the dip stick) its fuel.
-Its not near the fuel filter (although i could use some advice on how to get a damn wrench in there to replace with a new one i bought anyways.

PLEASE HELP! I got a new job im about to start and i need this to be fixed to commute to Seattle and back!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
spittybays

OK you got a spam goblin you need to kill.
Raw gas on motor could be coming from test port, shrader valve failed. Easy to fix. Just like changing the core on a tire vavle stem.
If you were mistaken and its not gas dripping just strong gas oder in compartment FPR could have blown, o2 sensor reads heavy fuel comp. wants to lean out motor.
Fuel leak down test.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:14 PM

I know for sure that its leaking on to the ground underneath cause I can see the stains. And im not a mechanic by any means so im not sure about a shrader valve or where it is?

Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM
spittybays

Where is the fuel test port on a 1996 blazer Vortec? - Yahoo! Answers
If it still has the cap on it I would be surprised. Take it off if it is and start the motor. If its peeing out you will know you found the problem. Try not to drive it as it's not far from distributor, real fire hazard.

Last edited by spittybays; 10-12-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If you have a fuel leak, it needs to be repaired. The P0171 indicates the driver side front oxygen sensor is reporting lean. PCM goes full rich to compensate, there's your mileage problem, and possibly fuel smell too.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by spittybays
Where is the fuel test port on a 1996 blazer Vortec? - Yahoo! Answers
If it still has the cap on it I would be surprised. Take it off if it is and start the motor. If its peeing out you will know you found the problem. Try not to drive it as it's not far from distributor, real fire hazard.
Is there anyway you could post a pic of where it is? Sorry to be such a noob...but I just not sure where the top of the fuel rail is

Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Top rear of the engine, just to the driver side of the distributor. Two steel lines, (3/8" & 5/16") next to each other, the 3/8" line has the service port, possibly with a black plastic screw on cap.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Dude your my hero, I was just under the hood and I saw the black plastic cap. Was guessing that's what you guys were talking about but that pic helped clarify that thank you! However I don't see any leakage around it.... But I should take it off and start the motor? So if it pees outta it then what does that mean ( referring to spittybays post) would I need a new cap?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:25 PM
spittybays

No take the cap off just turn the key to the on and if some gas is dripping out thats the leak. Feel around it and if its wet with gas that's the problem. The core needs to be replaced. Look at the valve stem on your tire. The out side has threads but so does the inside, that is were the small pin/stem protrudes. The thing you push on to make the air come out/same thing but gas comes out of this one. There is a small frame around that interior pin that has tiny o rings and a spring. These seal liquid/air...whatever "fluid" is to be held back or "go in one direction". It is unscrewed and replaced with a very small tool. These can be found at any small hardware/service station/bike shop/ tire store, it's a little kit, stems and tool, like three bucks. If its not that you neeed to trace those lines back more. This sh*ts is no joke you sould have a small fire extinguisher on board.

Last edited by spittybays; 10-12-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM

If it turns out to be a leaky valve core, it's a special core. The seal material is fuel rated, tire valve cores are not fuel rated and will deteriorate and leak.

Most of the auto parts stores rent/sell fuel pressure testers similar to the one in the image above. A fuel pressure and leak down test will tell if there's a fuel leak. Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running, (only runs for ~2 seconds when the key is initially turned on). Pressure must be 60psi to 66psi and must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Post your results.

Also, the leak you're seeing might be a coolant leak from the lower intake manifold gasket. Very common problem on this engine, and it can drip in the area that you're seeing it.

Quick Reply: Code P0171 and Leaking underneath