2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Convert odometer from miles to Km?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Beginning Member
tpolzin is on a distinguished road
Default Convert odometer from miles to Km?

Can the odometer of a 2000 Blazer be converted from miles to Km?

Thanks...Tim

Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yes, but it requires a capable (bi-directional) scan tool to reprogram the PCM, (Tech2 with the appropriate software). At the end of April, I bought a 2004 Blazer that was built for export to Canada, (RPO codes: U19, X88, & Z49). After being imported back to the States, the cluster had to be replaced and also had to reprogram the PCM to MPH.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 06-26-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Yes, but it requires a capable (bi-directional) scan tool to reprogram the PCM, (Tech2 with the appropriate software). At the end of April, I bought a 2004 Blazer that was built for export to Canada, (RPO codes: U19, X88, & Z49). After being imported back to the States, the cluster had to be replaced and also had to repogram the PCM to MPH.
Knowledge book here!
Now question for you, are second gen odo's digital display or analog? if they are digital, isnt there just a button to push to change it to KM?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

LOL Second gen face plate, (black background, white writing & numbers etc) shows the gages, speedometer etc. The face plate shows either MPH or KPH, not both, and it can be replaced, it's just a thin sheet of plastic. Disassemble the cluster, remove the needles, replace the face plate, reassemble. The odometer and shift indicator each have a logic module, and they both display digitally. The entire IPC, (Instrument Panel Cluster) is controlled by the BCM on 1998 and newer. The only buttons to push are on the Tech2

Last edited by Captain Hook; 06-26-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

LOL Second gen face plate, (black background, white writing & numbers etc) shows the gages, speedometer etc. The face plate shows either MPH or KPH, not both, and it can be replaced, it's just a thin sheet of plastic. Disassemble the cluster, remove the needles, replace the face plate, reassemble. The odometer and shift indicator each have a logic module, and they both display digitally. The entire IPC, (Instrument Panel Cluster) is controlled by the BCM on 1998 and newer. The only buttons to push are on the Tech2
ahh okay, the more I learn about second gens, the more confusing they become. LOL! Thanks for your knowledge brotha!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Rich, I'd MUCH rather work on 2nd gens. SO much easier to diagnose, but ya gotta have a good scan tool The confusing part is remembering all the changes that were made over the years, and what year they made them. Technology is a wonderful thing, I bought a Nikon D60 a few years ago, great camera, damn thing is obsolete and I haven't even figured out how to use all of the features!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:11 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

If you live in Canada the speedometer gauge shows both MPH and KM/H

Attached Thumbnails Convert odometer from miles to Km?-28bcc4bb0a0d02b70008777c35b6eafa.jpg  
Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Beginning Member
tpolzin is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by burned
If you live in Canada the speedometer gauge shows both MPH and KM/H

That is actually how mine now looks except for the odometer reading in miles. I had an old cluster I exchanged the faceplate with a Canadian one. It was easier than previously mentioned as the gauge module with the faceplate simply plugged into the circuit board from the US cluster. Everything works perfectly except the display in miles instead of km.

For a scan tool, I have the Snap-on "Brick" (MT2500).

Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Beginning Member
Brian5792 is on a distinguished road

Was just starting to look for help with my '98 LT's odometer problem. Today at start-up I had 000,000 kilometers showing. Was 147,616 miles showing when I parked it. Fiddled with the trip odometer button a few times but always got kilos not miles. I;ve been having trouble with certain dash lites being lit while driving and, more recently, the odom and PRND321 lites flickering on & off. While on I-95, I also noted that the speedo and tach were off. Should have been 60 mph and 2500 rpm (?) but showed about 33 mph and 1200 rpm instead. Made three stops before returning home and still had kilos plus bad speedo & tach readings. Funny, all gauges were fine and the false dash lites were off when I parked it yesterday! Was anxious to see whether this luck would continue this morning. Seems it got worse. Gonna read more posts to see if there are similar problems from other members. Had to comment here first.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Brian, The cluster is controlled by the BCM and it sounds like there's a poor solder connection at the printed circuit board in the cluster. Remove the cluster trim panel to expose the connector on top of the cluster. Ignition in the RUN position, gently wiggle the connector in all directions. If the instrument cluster freaks out, remove the cluster and disassemble it. The connector has 24 pins soldered to the PC board, touch a pencil soldering iron to each pin so the solder flows from the board to the pin. Might have to add a dab of 60/40 lead/tin rosin core solder.

Quick Reply: Convert odometer from miles to Km?