2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Diagnose this slime?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 PM
RedBlezer is on a distinguished road
Question Diagnose this slime?

Recently I found some spent oil or grease near the control arm on my driver's side wheel. Doesnt look like its coming from immediately above in the engine bay. Its near the CV axle and the strut, and on the tie rod end. not super familiar with all the components. See the pics and let me know if I should be concerned about anything?

Old 12-19-2018, 02:28 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

Hard to tell for sure but in the second picture it looks like the cv boot has blown and the grease has emptied out.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:39 PM

right on, it does look like it comes from the boot doesnt it. I've never heard any clicking when turning & ive had it in 4x4 a decent bit recently

Old 12-19-2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by odat
Hard to tell for sure but in the second picture it looks like the cv boot has blown and the grease has emptied out.
think i could throw new boots and grease in there and put it back in?

Old 12-20-2018, 02:08 AM

You could but the clamp bands are iffy with the replacement boots -
I don't know if they ship to Canada but at Oreilly's new not rebuilt aftermarket full half shafts are $60+ up to under $80
If it was me I'd go that route - new boots, cv's ect and you don't have to fight installing them and trying to keep the clamp bands in place.
I just did a quick glance at Rockauto boots alone were $13+ up too around 20+ and i didn't see full half shafts just bare cv's and boots

Last edited by odat; 12-20-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

In your second to last picture it looks like there is some of the oil or whatever on the front, upper lip of the upper control arm.

Could there be a leak in a brake line? Is there a leak from the top-side of the upper ball joint?

Last edited by christine_208; 12-20-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: identified wrong picture
Old 12-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RedBlezer
think i could throw new boots and grease in there and put it back in?
Check with a finger, whether the boot is torn. If so, You have to take care of it. You may have at least 3 options:
- get a split CV boot that may be put without extracting all the axles. I haven't ever used them, so I cannot say whether it's a good option or not. I prefer the solid ones. That's the easiest way.
- remove hub from control arms, extract the axles and replace the boots
- go as above with a new axles set

Old 12-20-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by odat
You could but the clamp bands are iffy with the replacement boots -
I don't know if they ship to Canada but at Oreilly's new not rebuilt aftermarket full half shafts are $60+ up to under $80
If it was me I'd go that route - new boots, cv's ect and you don't have to fight installing them and trying to keep the clamp bands in place.
I just did a quick glance at Rockauto boots alone were $13+ up too around 20+ and i didn't see full half shafts just bare cv's and boots
Yeah theres no Oreillys in Canada, only option I've found is $130 reman form NAPA. Want to do boots but I dont have the band clamp tool so might just buy the reman.

Originally Posted by christine_208
In your second to last picture it looks like there is some of the oil or whatever on the front, upper lip of the upper control arm.

Could there be a leak in a brake line? Is there a leak from the top-side of the upper ball joint?
I saw that, will check it out. Hope its water. Ball joints are covered in grease but have no play. Are they shot? will upload pics if concerning.

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Check with a finger, whether the boot is torn. If so, You have to take care of it. You may have at least 3 options:
- get a split CV boot that may be put without extracting all the axles. I haven't ever used them, so I cannot say whether it's a good option or not. I prefer the solid ones. That's the easiest way.
- remove hub from control arms, extract the axles and replace the boots
- go as above with a new axles set
Split CV boots look like a PITA. Thanks though I never knew about those.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:46 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RedBlezer
Want to do boots but I dont have the band clamp tool so might just buy the reman
Get the front cutters, make them dull, enjoy Your new clamp tool.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:06 PM

Spit boots are just that a royal PIA and good if your in a bind but not for long term use.The seam does not seal well and puckers between bolt points along seam and clamp area. I tried them back in my VW sand rail days
I did check and ya Oreilly's don't ship to Canada or Mexico,
However I did go back to the Rockauto site and it looks like they do, as far as I can see they are under 50 bucks + shipping for a half shaft.
The cheapest route is the boot, if you have not gotten any dirt, water ECT. into the CV unit and if you are able to get the shaft to split into. I've never tried as for the cost I just replace the unit.
If you do just the boot replacement inless they have changed the mixture on the grease for them it's a high lead grease so more or less toxic and darn hard to clean off of skin, clothing, ECT
Also while you are in there digging around look at your shock mounting rubbers it looks like they maybe coming apart. I know all of this is just what you wanted to hear lol

Last edited by odat; 12-20-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Diagnose this slime?