2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Distributor Vacuum Advance hose? (pic included)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM
RandyRhoadsFan82 is on a distinguished road
Default Distributor Vacuum Advance hose? (pic included)

hey guys I've been chasing a multiple cylinder misfire for a long time now and I replaced the spider among many other things, stupidly throwing parts at it. I know better. lol
anyways, I found along the way on a job tonight there is a hose coming from the distributor housing and it looks to be cut off or torn off at the end...is it supposed to be connected to something in order for the distributor to work? its just hanging there looking like it broke off of something. any thoughts on where it should properly be? thanks all

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attached Thumbnails Distributor Vacuum Advance hose? (pic included)-esnd.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:00 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RandyRhoadsFan82
hey guys I've been chasing a multiple cylinder misfire for a long time now and I replaced the spider among many other things, stupidly throwing parts at it. I know better. lol
anyways, I found along the way on a job tonight there is a hose coming from the distributor housing and it looks to be cut off or torn off at the end...is it supposed to be connected to something in order for the distributor to work? its just hanging there looking like it broke off of something. any thoughts on where it should properly be? thanks all

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This is a 4.3l right? 2nd gen??? If so there is no vacuum advance
However , is this a 4wd drive? I'd guess its one of the hoses that runs to the vacuum actuator under battery....btw. This p0300 u are chasing don't forget about a possible worn distributor gear, & check for slop in shaft the bushing under the rotor wears out.....

Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi
This is a 4.3l right? 2nd gen??? If so there is no vacuum advance
However , is this a 4wd drive? I'd guess its one of the hoses that runs to the vacuum actuator under battery....btw. This p0300 u are chasing don't forget about a possible worn distributor gear, & check for slop in shaft the bushing under the rotor wears out.....

youre completely right, I traced it wrong and it was actually an evap hose and I connected it to that evap solenoid on the intake. and yes, its a 99 GMC Jimmy.
the code went from a P0300 to a P0303, so now its down to a cylinder 3 misfire. odd thing is, there is another code P0171 saying bank 1 is lean...im stumped, I have no idea why this thing is running like this. if its running lean, it wouldn't be anything ignition related would it? before that code popped up I put in a dizzy cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires, upgraded spider, coil....this is driving me nuts!!! heeellllpppp

Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 PM

youre completely right, I traced it wrong and it was actually an evap hose and I connected it to that evap solenoid on the intake. and yes, its a 99 GMC Jimmy.
the code went from a P0300 to a P0303, so now its down to a cylinder 3 misfire. odd thing is, there is another code P0171 saying bank 1 is lean...im stumped, I have no idea why this thing is running like this. if its running lean, it wouldn't be anything ignition related would it? before that code popped up I put in a dizzy cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires, upgraded spider, coil....this is driving me nuts!!! heeellllpppp
Well , first off clear the codes and see if they come back then if they do diagnose the 1st code set...........a lot of times 1 issue will cause the PCM to set other codes!!!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 PM

The lean bank code could be related to the vacuum line being disconnected........btw stupid question for ya!!??? Did u use all Ac Delco ignition parts????? I recently swapped out some autolite wires that we're giving me problemsI replaced them with ac delcos..... These were new wires had maybe 200 miles on them....

And another thing did u use di electric grease on wires & contacts in the distributor cap?

Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi
The lean bank code could be related to the vacuum line being disconnected........btw stupid question for ya!!??? Did u use all Ac Delco ignition parts????? I recently swapped out some autolite wires that we're giving me problemsI replaced them with ac delcos..... These were new wires had maybe 200 miles on them....

And another thing did u use di electric grease on wires & contacts in the distributor cap?

I cleared the codes and the only one that has come back SO FAR is the P0303. I didn't use AC Delco for any of the parts though. used di-electric grease on everything, plugs look good.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:41 PM

I cleared the codes and the only one that has come back SO FAR is the P0303. I didn't use AC Delco for any of the parts though. used di-electric grease on everything, plugs look good.
I would try swapping the number 3 plug with another cyl.. Then if that dont work try the plug wire....