2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Does this sound right? (Intake Man Gaskets)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
msdafarm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does this sound right? (Intake Man Gaskets)

I have a '99 Trailblazer 4WD 4D. It has had a slow antifreeze leak for a month or so. Was a little low, and could smell it after driving. Took it in for diagnosis and was told 1.) crack in radiator, 2.) leaking EXTERNALLY at IMG. IMG was too expensive for that moment so told them to do the radiator--made an appt the next week for that. In the mean time, I had my oil changed.
Took in for new radiator, was called and told whoah ma'am, you have a LOT of antifreeze in your oil, so I changed it, changed the radiator, and put Stop-Leak in it to tide you over. (Thanks, stop leak in my new radiator, even I know that's probably not the best thing.)
So a week and a half later it went in for the IMG change (was not driven over 1 mile in the mean time). I was quoted $800 for this, and would get it back in a day and a half. I asked if this was it--all that was wrong, no surprises and was told this should be it. I get a call the next day--we have a problem--the heads are pitted. I could 1.) have them go look at some used ones, 2.) have mine sent away to be machined, 3.) get new ones.
The used ones were no good, so we sent mine away to be machined. New quote, $1130. A week later, I called to ask how things were going. Midday this past Friday I was told there were just a couple hours worth of work left, I could have it on Monday if things went ok. This shop has 2 bays, and it has been inside since Friday. I called today (Monday) afternoon, and was told it is STILL being put together, many business hours later. And now I can probably have it TOMORROW.
Am I wrong to be concerned here? My instinct tells me something went awry and they're trying to quick-fix it. Or is this how small shops go--they just re-prioritize jobs? They are well aware being without my only vehicle is a strain. Is there anything I should be asking? Does this all sound normal?Should I have another garage check it out after I pick it up?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Does this sound right? (Intake Man Gaskets)

I sincerely hope they know what they are doing by machining your heads... To make everything work properly, the intake would also need to be machined off the bottom to match the change in the head due to the machining. And all of this will throw off port alignment as well... Not a good thing. You could have found a set of reman heads on eBay (or from timetoblaze here if he still has them) and had them installed in the amount of time they spent messing around with your heads. Also, while not preferred, some RTV sealant could have been used on the coolant ports to fill the voids without machining.