2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Electric connection/Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member
pjf1313 is on a distinguished road
Default Electric connection/Fuel pump

Hello again. . .

I've got a question about an electrical connector/splice on my '99 Blazer ZR2.

It's located between the rear-most cross member and the bumper.
It has 11 wires going to it. It's a black connector with a blue cover.

While digging around for the reason my fuel gauge is in-op, I came across this connector sitting ontop of the x-member.
When I moved/bumped it, my fuel pump shut down, there by killing the engine (it was running at the time).

I restarted it, and started wiggling the connector around abit, and could hear my pump die,
and come back on, depending how I moved it. After about 5 minutes or so,
it seems that one side of the connecter was warmer than the other.

I haven't (due to fear of non-starting) removed the blue cover.

NOW for the question(s)

What is it? and what else does it do? (Still don't have my S/M's yet (Friday maybe)

Where is the ground(s) for the fuel pump and/or sending unit?

Att. pics. (I hope)

P.J.

P.S. Moderators - I'm not sure if here, or in the Lighting/Electrical section.

Attached Thumbnails Electric connection/Fuel pump-imag0017.jpg   Electric connection/Fuel pump-imag0018.jpg   Electric connection/Fuel pump-imag0019.jpg  
Old 03-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Beginning Member

Welp, It's been buggin' me for a few hours, so I took the blue connector off the plug.

Besides killing the fuel pump, I couldn't see/tell what else it did.
(maybe I should take a look at the tail lights/reverse/plate/trailer lighting)

With that said, it is a 12 pin connector socket with a 12 pin connector plug, using 11 wires.

BUT the blue connector is in 3 banks of 4 connections.

The blue connector is made of 3 "banks" of 4 connections. As in - left 4 are tied together, middle 4 and right 4. There seems to be no way of plugging it back "backwards" After I removed the connector, about 15 1/2 years of accumulated N.E. junk came out with it. Both the connector and plug had some tell-tail signs of corrosion (green-blue) and was getting hot (slightly brown on the "blue" connector). I had a connector cleaner kit on hand, and cleaned the blue plug with a brass wire "tooth" brush.

After clean both the best I could, I added some di-electric grease (Dow Corning compound 4 [DC-4]) and plugged it back in. The fuel pump didn't die as I wiggled the connecter around, even taping/banging as much as I could on the x-member. To me, the pump seems, by ear, a little stronger, but haven't put a gauge on it yet, so, no guarantee.

Sorry for the ramble, but I hope someone else can use this info, if, their fuel pump dies on a ZR2, cross-mounted tank, and can't figure out why.

But, still didn't solve my gauge problem... Tomorrow is another day.

P.J.

Last edited by pjf1313; 03-09-2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: clarification on plug... damn spelling...
Old 03-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

That is a ground splice pack. Several grounds come together, (all black wires) and then one wire goes to the upper left, rear corner of the frame. The splice pack should not even feel warm. If it feels hot, there is a problem is the splice pack that needs to be fixed. And yes, the fuel pump ground goes through the splice pack.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
That is a ground splice pack. Several grounds come together, (all black wires) and then one wire goes to the upper left, rear corner of the frame. The splice pack should not even feel warm. If it feels hot, there is a problem is the splice pack that needs to be fixed. And yes, the fuel pump ground goes through the splice pack.

Thanks Captain,

After cleaning that "spice-pack", and running the engine for another 1/2 hour or so, it was cool/ambient temp. I will take a look again there, but I did see some sort of a vac-cannister mounted in that spot, up and high. Almost looked like a motorcycle battery, by its mounts, but had a few (2 or 3) vac lines going to-from it. Still don't know what else runs off of it/connected to that splice pack, but it may help someone else in the future. . .

Do you have any ideas of where the fuel gauge ground(s) run off of? I've been reading back-posts (got 'till November, 2011) but no mention of transverse mounted tanks. The only one I seem to see, most commonly I guess, is the longitudinal tanks on the 4-door, and 2-door, with the under-carriage mounted spare tire.

EDIT - my gauge is always on "E", with the "Low Fuel" light on, on the dash. Even my cheap OTC computer registers "0" on fuel level. The "BAFX" ODB-2 reader with Car Gauge Pro sees .4 I am "ASSUMING" (we all know what that means..) that it is an open circuit. I haven't had it on the lift yet, but, as far as I can see/tell (rear on ramps/front on jack-stands) there is no noticeable flaws/crushes/rips on the factory wiring (maybe? a few added zip-ties) Just trying to make it "down-state" legal to pass emissions/safety (I do need 2x front tires, and an alignment wouldn't hurt..)

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

P.J.

Last edited by pjf1313; 03-09-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The black plastic tank in the left rear quarter panel is the purge canister.

The ground for the fuel pump, (black wire) goes through the splice pack and is grounded to the frame. Extreme rear end of left frame rail, on top. Gotta use the eyes in your fingers

The ground for the fuel level sender is black as it goes in the splice pack, and as it exits. The black with white stripe is the ground for the EVAP vent solenoid. The last black wire snakes its way forward, and eventually grounds to the rear of the right cylinder head with a bunch of other stuff.

Next time you have the tank out, solder the two black wires together where they connect to the pump module, along with one 12 ga wire. Connect the other end of the 12 ga wire to a good clean ground. That will eliminate/bypass a whole bunch of possible ground problems, including the splice pack

4 door tanks are inside the left frame rail, forward of the rear axle. 2 door tanks are aft of the rear axle.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-09-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member

The black plastic tank in the left rear quarter panel is the purge canister.

The ground for the fuel pump, (black wire) goes through the splice pack and is grounded to the frame. Extreme rear end of left frame rail, on top. Gotta use the eyes in your fingers

Well, them damn thing better see a Dr. then! They didn't even see that hole-saw that 'bout took one of them off in Dec. '14....

The ground for the fuel level sender is black as it goes in the splice pack, and as it exits. The black with white stripe is the ground for the EVAP vent solenoid. The last black wire snakes its way forward, and eventually grounds to the rear of the right cylinder head with a bunch of other stuff.

Next time you have the tank out, solder the two black wires together where they connect to the pump module, along with one 12 ga wire. Connect the other end of the 12 ga wire to a good clean ground. That will eliminate/bypass a whole bunch of possible ground problems, including the splice pack

4 door tanks are inside the left frame rail, forward of the rear axle. 2 door tanks are aft of the rear axle.

What!!! What "the next time"!!! It's got about 15 gallons of premium in there at a dollar-three-eighty, and as "heavy as a Cheby!"

Yes, I understand what your saying. I will do that when (NOT if) the time comes... I'll also add that ground point to the "Big 3" (or is it a big-4 now?!) update - I'll be running a 8/10 ga wire to the rear cylinder (is that also where the ECM grounds itself?)

On another note -Is the ZR is the only one that the fuel tank goes left to right, between the rear axle and the rear x-member? or does someone else live in that hollow?

Thanks

P.J.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:55 PM

All 2nd gen S/T 2 door fuel tank mountings are just like you see it on your ZR2.
2 door spare tire is either a space saver mounted left rear inside the cabin, or full size tire on a tailgate mounted tire carrier. 4 door spare tire is mounted where the 2 door fuel tank is, (aft axle).

Old 03-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

All 2nd gen S/T 2 door fuel tank mountings are just like you see it on your ZR2.
2 door spare tire is either a space saver mounted left rear inside the cabin, or full size tire on a tailgate mounted tire carrier. 4 door spare tire is mounted where the 2 door fuel tank is, (aft axle).

Thanks Captn.,

The more I see(READ), the less I know!

P.J.

EDIT - I wish that you where closer so I could pick your brains better... (no, I'm not dead [yet!])

Last edited by pjf1313; 03-09-2016 at 09:20 PM.