2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Are Exhaust SLEEVE CLAMPS (x2) RIGID enough to support CAT without exhaust hangars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Beginning Member
Blazonaire is on a distinguished road
Default Are Exhaust SLEEVE CLAMPS (x2) RIGID enough to support CAT without exhaust hangars?

2002 Blazer 4WD

I'm trying to replace the CAT using just exhaust sleeve clamps, no welding. I may need to take it apart again is one reason I'm not welding.

The diagram shows fairly well what I'm attempting to do.

There is nowhere to add an exhaust support hanger in the span between the headers and the CAT, about a 5' or 6' span (guessing). So that means the entire span weight is supported by the 2 sleeve clamps. The exhaust hanger is after the CAT toward the muffler.

It seems like that would put a lot of bending stress on the exhaust line, with every off-road bump flexing the sleeve clamps more, bending the line and stressing the exhaust headers. Seems like it would torque on the headers, similar to if the exhaust was just cut off and hanging a few feet back from the headers (but less).

Does anyone have any experience or recommendation with this kind of situation?
The other option would be adding some kind of support under the exhaust line where it crosses over the support that holds the transmission, but that doesn't seem like a good idea for some reason, like it might jar the exhaust line somehow.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Are Exhaust SLEEVE CLAMPS (x2) RIGID enough to support CAT without exhaust hangars?-cat2.jpg  
Old 10-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_4x4 is on a distinguished road

It should be fine using clamps as long as you plan to use an exhaust pipe expander to sleeve each joint securely into the next. the longer the inserted section is the more rigid your connection will be.

Attached Thumbnails Are Exhaust SLEEVE CLAMPS (x2) RIGID enough to support CAT without exhaust hangars?-maxresdefault.jpg   Are Exhaust SLEEVE CLAMPS (x2) RIGID enough to support CAT without exhaust hangars?-slip%2520vs%2520coupler.gif  
Old 10-07-2015, 01:37 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks! I got the fittings at RockAuto, can probably dial in the tolerances better using stock pipe and an expander though.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:44 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

I use a pipe sleeve clamp to link two severed lengths of 2" pipe. It was meant to be temporary but has held up for a long time now. Got it at Autozone for like 5 bucks, has one screw for tightening, kind of like this
Amazon.com: Versachem 90100 Exhaust/Tail Pipe Repair Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Versachem 90100 Exhaust/Tail Pipe Repair Kit: Automotive

Old 10-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by puttster
I use a pipe sleeve clamp to link two severed lengths of 2" pipe.
That clamp held up to a butt joint (no pipe overlap), and you don't have any noise/leaks? that's a pretty neat take on fastening a sleeve clamp with the hook like that.

If it ever loosens, these Sleeve Clamps are only about $8 and do a real nice job of keeping a tight joint. There is one for lap joint (overlap), and a different one for butt joint. (pic)

Attached Thumbnails Are Exhaust SLEEVE CLAMPS (x2) RIGID enough to support CAT without exhaust hangars?-clamp.jpg  

Last edited by Blazonaire; 10-08-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:47 AM

Yes it's a butt joint and yes it does leak. I'll try the kind with clamps on both ends if this one fails.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

I have this type of clamp on another vehicle. It does a fairly good job of sealing 2 pipes (butt joint). But it has a problem if there is an rotational weight. It tends to rotate a bit over time. Not sure how it will work on the Blazer.

Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rxjimmy
It tends to rotate a bit over time. Not sure how it will work on the Blazer.
Thanks! I was considering wrapping a few layers of tin foil between sleeve and pipe to tighten things up if needed.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 AM

The one I got from Autozone came with some fireproof cloth but I forgot to pit it on.