2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front driveshaft rear joint not replaceable.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front driveshaft rear joint not replaceable.

Autoparts store showed 2 U-joints, but not true. Had to buy a used shaft at junkyard. Still very easy to change though. Only problem was removing skidplate to snake it through the cross pipe. What a difference in the ride now, mirrors finally stopped vibrating and making me dizzy.

additional info: Mine is a 1995. The shaft in the pictures that I bought is from a 2002.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3629/CA59DE4D44E846F4B57EDE78A93E88C2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3629/4D9A7C75FD7340E9900A5E52EFE9473B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-03-2006, 03:43 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Front driveshaft rear joint not replaceable.

Blasir, what year is that? The info could be helpful. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:53 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Front driveshaft rear joint not replaceable.

Doesnt look like my front shaft on my 92. If that helps.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:50 PM
04  Blue Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driveshaft CV joint click leak

I have an 04 Blazer (4 door) with Autotrak (4 button -4 whl auto) transaxle. It has never been abused or even been offroad and has developed a loud clicking sound in the area under the driver's seat that could be felt inside the vehice. It is a few miles out of warranty. There is oil/grease sprayed under the vehicle in the area of the CV joint near the transaxle. The rubber seal on the CV joint is wet. The clicking is similar to a bad CV joint on a front wheel drive car when making a turn. The dealer initially told me that it was a vent tube overflow (over fill BURP as they called it), but the fluid level has not been adjusted since new. The price of a used front drive shaft at the salvage yard is $100 and there are many variations avaialble (tube shaft. solid shaft, two U joints, one U joint & one CV joint). I called a drive shaft specialty shop and they do not have anything available for 04. Replacement, refurbished or remanufactured front drive shafts for 04 are not available. CV joint repair kits are not available. The two choices are salvage yard or dealer ($400). After explaining to the assistant service manager that the CV joint was leaking (and probably failing -clicking sound) and that the clicking could be felt inside of the vehicle they rotated the shaft on the lift and it was binding. They have agreed to replace the front drive shaft assembly. Has anyone else experinced failure of the front drive shaft joints?

*Combining consecutive posts*

BTW -The pictures posted by Blasir of the 2002 front drive shaft looks exactly like the piece on my 04 with a U joint up front and a CV joint out back at the tansfer case. It appears that the CV joint seal leaked, blew out the grease, and the joint ran dry and failed on my 04. They think that may have caused the transaxle fluid to be pushed out of the vent tube somehow?

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combined consecutive posts. Please use the edit function to add any additional information to your post if another member has not yet replied.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: driveshaft CV joint click leak

How many miles do you have on your truck? This doesn't seem like a very common occurance. It's possible you just got a faulty one, or picked up a stone that prematurely wore the CV joint...

Old 11-28-2006, 10:19 PM
slammins15 is an unknown quantity at this point

x

Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 PM
04  Blue Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well today the clicking is back. The new shaft has only been in a few months. I thinking that there is either a problem with these CV joints or I have a misalignment in the drive line that is creating an angle greater that the CV joint is designed to handle. it's loudest when going over bumps or cornering. I'll be going back to the dealers.

Update - Turned out to be ball joints and idler arm this time not the front driveshaft CV joint. It was making a very similar popping / clicking sound. The lower left ball joint was shot and the upper left was loose. The dealer said that as long as they were replacing the lower they woud only charge for the part to do the upper(no additonal labor). The idler arm also would not pass state inspection and was replaced. They also did a four wheel alignment. Total cost including chassis lube, emission testing and disposing of old parts (now an enviromental hazardous waste disposal fee because of the grease) was $575.