2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

front end squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:46 PM
tpendergraft85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default front end squeaking

my dad drives an '00 blazer and he has this noise... it started out when he would turn the wheel as far as it would go when getting out of a parking space or something. it has now progressed, if it is indeed the same noise. now, it squeaks almost all the time, regardless of bumps the size of the bump. its very annoying. his friend has an extreme that is developing the same problem. somebody told him that it was some bushings in the front, is this possible? let me know if i need to be more descriptive. thanks

Old 02-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: front end squeaking

If it only happens when turning and moving slow, it's most likely the power steering pump or the accessory drive belt. I would start by checking the PS fluid level and checking your serpentine belt for cracks, freying, or other signs of wear. If any are present, replace it with a quality belt. Gates, Goodyear, and Dayco are very good belts.

I have a Goodyear gatorback on my Bravada and on my Bonneville (both accessory & s/c belts). On the Bonneville, the Gatorback ran quieter and held much better for the supercharger belt than the stock AC Delco's.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:59 AM
tpendergraft85 is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont think i described it well enough... my dad described it as a "thunk"ing noise, maybe even a groan. it sounds like in the suspension area when i push the truck back and forth from the side. could there be something rubbing around the spring or can the shocks squeak? again maybe bushings...

Old 02-17-2006, 03:42 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Does it have 4wd? They have torsion bars up front not coil springs.

Check the sway bar bushings andend links. Jack the front end off the ground and check the ball joints by trying to wiggle the tire. Do both sides.

Inspect the inner and outer tie rods by having a helper wiggler the tire for you.

Inspect the shocks for any seapage. If the shock is dirty, wipe it down and check it again after a week or so.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: tpendergraft85

i dont think i described it well enough... my dad described it as a "thunk"ing noise, maybe even a groan. it sounds like in the suspension area when i push the truck back and forth from the side. could there be something rubbing around the spring or can the shocks squeak? again maybe bushings...
Ok, yeah. I was going under the premise that the problem was when steering at slow speeds. Anyway, what Scott (4lowlife) said. Check all of the suspension components. Grease everything that can be greased. If the noise goes away, then comes back sometime later, then it's one of the components you greased.

You could also get a mechanics stethescope and put it up against most of the suspension components. Have someone else rock the vehicle to reproduce the noise and see if you can't pin point it.