Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

weird squeaking coming from rear end/ driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Starting Member
stevelknievel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default weird squeaking coming from rear end/ driveshaft

ok guys and gals, i recently noticed that when im in reverse there is this squeaking coming from my rear end/driveshaft area. i jacked it up and turned everything by hand and heard nothingbut couldnt put it in reverse while it was jacked up (didnt have my jackstands and i have really bad luck). does anyone know what could be causing this?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: weird squeaking coming from rear end/ driveshaft

I had a very similar situation with my old Bravada. Rear u-joint had seized. If the rear joint has not been changed before, it is retained by injected nylon. You will need to heat the yoke while you press the cups out. It is easiest to do with a hydraulic press, but can be done with a few sockets and a bench vise. But heat is a must. That nylon is tough. Once you get the cups out of the driveshaft, file down the inside surfaces on the yoke to make sure that htey are cleaned up and ready for the replacement cups which will be held in by C-clips.

While you're doing one, it's often just as easy to replace the other. But that's up to you. And remember, if the new one has a grease zerk on it, grease it every time you change your oil along with the zerks on the front suspention and steering.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Starting Member

thanks man! i really appreciate the help

Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Starting Member

thanks again for the help man. everything went real smooth except for the old u joint blowing up in my vice haha

Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that happened with mine as well. LOL