2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump wiring harness - necessary to replace with new pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel pump wiring harness - necessary to replace with new pump?

I am glad it all worked out. Hopefully you used good connectors at your wire splices with some good heat shrink tubing (I am partial to the glue filled 3M butt connectors w/ heat shrink tubing on them already).

If the fuel gauge was the only problem, then you could have just replaced the sending unit for far cheaper, but with the history of problems with fuel pumps in these trucks it is a safe bet to replace the pump while you are in there.

What was the model number for the pump?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 AM
mdkuni is an unknown quantity at this point

The model number is MU1755. It is a new ACDelco part number that is replacing MU1063. I called and spoke with ACDelco to verify before ordering. I got the unit for $114 to my door!

I wanted the gauge to work, but for $114 for a whole new pump and having 84,000 miles on the truck I figured I could do some preventative maintenance and get a working gauge, as you said these trucks are known for pumps failing.

The pump came with the shrink wrap connectors. I used those and then individually wrapped each line with electrical tape. I then wrapped all of the lines together and stuffed it back in the plastic wire guard the best I could and wrapped the wire guard up a good 3-4 times! Hopefully I will never have to touch it.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

When you bought the pump assembly, you also paid fora newwiring harness and screen. That is why itmakes good sense to install what you have already paid for. Especially when you are going to so muchtrouble to install the pump.

For example, I recently installed a deeper Summit cast aluminum transmission pan on my 4L60 automatic transmission. I also replaced the transmission filter when I had the pan off , although it was not absolutely necessary to doso.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to beat a dead horse here. What I am saying about the connector (whether you want to believe it or not) is that the chances of not installing the replacement pigtail correctly causing problems down the road are A LOT higher than the weather pack connector failing if the connectors were the same (from a failure mode affects analysis standpoint). When was the last time you replaced the pigtail on the EGR valve, TPS sensor, MAP/MAF sensor or an O2 sensor? Exactly my point, if you do not need to replace the pigtail, regardless of whether they included it or not, you should not. It only introduces another failure point in the circuit.

The only reason to replace a weather pack connector is if the connector changed on the new component. A transmission filter is a poor analogy that I will not get into the specifics of in this thread.

Do it if you will sleep better at night, but that is the only benefit you will get from it. In this case, it was a necessity. With that I will close.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

mdkuni,

Since you stubbornly went against "better" advice than what the manufacturers of the fuel pumps recommend, please let us know ten years form now or inanother 120,000 miles how the new harness worked.

BTW, I noticed you stated thatyour existing wiring harness would not fit your new fuel pump, you may have install the wrong fuel pump.Take it out and find a fuel pump that fits your old harness. LOL