Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Transmission Coolers - Necessary?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Matty Kling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission Coolers - Necessary?!?

I was wondering if you guys out there suggest a transmission cooler... Here is my situation... I have a 2000 Blaze! 4wd... I drive on the beach a couple times a month, ride trails about once a month, and tow a boat a couple times a month (small boat, maybe 2000lbs total boat/traier/etc)...

When I ride on the beach - I use 4x4 all the time, and I don't know if I would need a cooler for this...

Does anybody have any suggestions?!?

Thanks!

Matty[/align]

Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Transmission Coolers - Necessary?!?

I personally always bypass the radiator tranny cooler, ive cracked a few radiators in the past and always found it cheap insurance to get an external cooler. I dont think you need one but im new to 4.3's and am not sure how much they can handle in the drivetrain when its under load. Others here will be of more help.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:24 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to purchase one of these too for that same reason "cheap insurance" and once I do that I would love to be able to find a skid plate to cover the tranny if I ever happen to go off roading. If I cannot find one, which looks like that cause, then I will just go build one some how. I got a welder, ill just go to a scrap yard and see what I can weld together.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: nofear17bmx

I would like to purchase one of these too for that same reason "cheap insurance" and once I do that I would love to be able to find a skid plate to cover the tranny if I ever happen to go off roading. If I cannot find one, which looks like that cause, then I will just go build one some how. I got a welder, ill just go to a scrap yard and see what I can weld together.

You will have to change out your tranny lines if you go external. I suggest braided stainless steel lines with AN fittings, they seem to hold up the best.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you have to change out the transmission lines to put on an external cooler? Even if you bypass the radiator, you only need to adapt to the transmission lines at the radiator to plumb in the external cooler.

Please be aware that if you live in a cold climate, completely removing the radiator from the cooling loop is not advisable. The coolant actually helps to decrease the warm up time of the transmission which affects how soon the torque converter goes into full lockup. This can affect your winter fuel mileage if it stays unlocked for a long time waiting for the fluid to warm up. I have always plumbed my coolers in the loop after the radiator. That way, the radiator can take out some of the heat, removing some of that load from the external cooler. In the winter time, I cover up my external cooler with a piece of hard plastic.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Why would you have to change out the transmission lines to put on an external cooler? Even if you bypass the radiator, you only need to adapt to the transmission lines at the radiator to plumb in the external cooler.

Please be aware that if you live in a cold climate, completely removing the radiator from the cooling loop is not advisable. The coolant actually helps to decrease the warm up time of the transmission which affects how soon the torque converter goes into full lockup. This can affect your winter fuel mileage if it stays unlocked for a long time waiting for the fluid to warm up. I have always plumbed my coolers in the loop after the radiator. That way, the radiator can take out some of the heat, removing some of that load from the external cooler. In the winter time, I cover up my external cooler with a piece of hard plastic.
Ive just always replaced the entire lineset due to leak possibilities. not saying it will happen but it can, hoseclamps are not the strongest in the world. As far as warm up time, just put a piece of cardboard infront of the grille, its actually recommended to do that in cold climates anyways.

Like i said im new to the 4.3 way of life and am just going off the previous cars ive built in the past, none has been a 6 cylinder though except my 86 regal t type. Im learning these things as I go along on this site.

The briaded lines have alot higher burst strength then rubber line does and it doesnt dry rot or crush easily.

What about frame rail coolers, how do those perform better then one like the B&M supercooler?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:24 PM
jimmyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

i put mine on because i run alittle to hot for my liking during the summer time with the ac on i just thought that itwould help out on the coolingand the last time i wheeled in the beach sand i could feel the trans getting too hot.

jimmyboy

Old 12-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: DetroitMuscle

Ive just always replaced the entire lineset due to leak possibilities. not saying it will happen but it can, hoseclamps are not the strongest in the world. As far as warm up time, just put a piece of cardboard infront of the grille, its actually recommended to do that in cold climates anyways.

Like i said im new to the 4.3 way of life and am just going off the previous cars ive built in the past, none has been a 6 cylinder though except my 86 regal t type. Im learning these things as I go along on this site.

The briaded lines have alot higher burst strength then rubber line does and it doesnt dry rot or crush easily.

What about frame rail coolers, how do those perform better then one like the B&M supercooler?
IMO, steel braided line is just way too expensive to be a consideration. Considering the pressures that the trans cooler lines see (sub 60psi), most fabric braided rubber lines are more than sufficient. While a hose clamp may not be all that desirable, you can't argue with its effectiveness and cost. I do not like to cut a hard line only to then stuff a rubber hose over the smooth line and hose clamp it. If it must be done, I always use 2 hose clamps. Most times, I can adapt to the threaded connection on the hard line to a hose barb which is preferred when transitioning to rubber lines. In all of the vehicles that I currently have, the rubber lines have yet to dry rot or crush and the lines on my Chevelle are going on 13 years old. And heck, that car even has rubber fuel lines at various places. As with everything, the quality of the parts you use determines the life you can expect to get out of it.

Now if you are talking about things being on a drag vehicle where even a drip may get you disqualified, then every bit of insurance against such a thing is a justifiable expense.

As far as frame rail vs in front of the radiator coolers go, unless you have a fan on a frame rail cooler, you won't get the air flow you can get with one mounted in front of the radiator. And if you go off roading, I'd rather have a cooler up on the radiator than under the truck just for the simple fact that mud goes pretty much everywhere.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:38 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

An aftermarket tranny cooler is always a good idea, especially if you tow regulary or wheel in 4lo regularly. Heat is the number one reason trannies fail.
How you plumb it is personal prefference, all the methods mentioned above will work.