2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel tank removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member
BB3439 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel tank removal

I'm sure that this subject has been thoroughly hashed over, but a thread search didn't turn up what I had hoped.

The fuel pump on my '99 Blazer 4-door has failed and needs replacement. I'm no amateur by any means, but certainly not a pro either.

Of what I've read, the fuel connections at the tank are hose clamps. I had expected the read that they were the GM style of quick connect. PLEASE SET ME STRAIGHT!

I have the Blazer on jacks, the hydraulic jack in place with a spreader board and ready to start removing the straps. I don't want to start dropping the tank only to find that I don't have the proper tools.

Like a dumb a$$, I filled the tank the morning before the pump failed and I'm down only 3 or 4 gallons at most.

When I replaced the pump on my '99 Grand Am, it DID have the GM style quick connect fittings, but I gave the tools to my B-I-L for letting me use his shop.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

My 98 has clip style connections, though the filler neck and vent were worm screw hose clamps.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Yep just the clips, no special tools required accept your fingers. And for the gas already in your tank, while its on stands take the filler neck off the tank and siphon it out. If you have something to siphon it into.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There are 3 lines connected to the fuel pump module. This tool will release the 3/8" and the 5/16" lines. Buy Autocraft Fuel Line Disconnect Tool AC522/W83114 at Advance Auto Parts

The 1/4" line just squeezes together using your thumb and index finger, then twist and pull it straight off. Don't forget the vapor line at the front of the tank, it will break off if you don't remove the line.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Beginning Member
Micscience is on a distinguished road

This is true Mr. Captain Hook, I have fixed one with JB Weld, but the position the vent is located makes it hard to not damage it if you are working on jack stands by yourself. 16.99 at Auto Zone.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Don't forget the vapor line at the front of the tank, it will break off if you don't remove the line.
Uh oh.. I dont remember taking that off when i just did mine... lol what happens if it breaks??

Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You'll end up with the Service Engine Soon light on and EVAP DTC's set in memory, most likely a fuel odor outside the vehicle, and possibly a fuel leak when the fuel level is near full. That's about it It will not affect engine performance.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 PM
spittybays

Mine has two vent plugs, one in the back and one in the front but only two lines from the fuel pump hanger. I think your rear vent is one of the three fuel pump lines. When I broke mine it set an EVAP DTC. Theres a small piece of fuel hose that connects to a metal line, folded it and put a hose clamp on it. Plugged the tank vent with some RTV. For what its worth no more code or oder and it can all be done by feel.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Just pull the carpet back, cut a hole in the floor, get some nice hinges from the hardware store along with some 1.5" aluminum strip, and some rivots. Then just seal up the small gap with RTV, and any time down the road you need to do this again, cut the rtv, pull open the access door and you are there.
It took me about an hour and a half to pull the carpet back, measure, cut the door (with a jig saw and a metal cutting blade) and then remove/install the new fuel pump
Then about a half hour to hinge it up and seal it with RTV

Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Rich, I didn't think people in Minnesota did that kind of stuff Works good though eh?

Quick Reply: Fuel tank removal