2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Head bolt broke off when installing the head

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 PM
echo1 is on a distinguished road
Default Head bolt broke off when installing the head

While torquing down the #12 bolt (medium length) the bolt snapped. The bolt would not torque more than 80nm. Just for kicks I decided to torque down the #13 bolt which is also the medium length and it too would not torque past 80nm. Any one have any ideas about that??

Any suggestion for extract head bolt? It broke just above the thread portion of the bolt.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i would say if you have access to a welder tack a nut on there....or maybe you could double up two nuts and wrench on the lower one...that might work.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Eazy Outs... drill a hole 'that certain size they ask for that size of bolt' & the reverse twist of the eazy out removes the now stud as it screws in.
Supposed to be easy but the drilling STRAIGHT in the center of a hardened bolt can be a PITA.
I'd try the tacking a nut to the top 1st as Jarad said though.
Small tacks but many of them, even a 120v .023 mig will work.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 PM

do either of you suggest removing the head to get access or should I try the easy out with the head still on the block?

Any thoughts as to why the bolts are torquing down fully? I chased the threads with a tap before installing new bolts.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran

"New" bolts? Are you sure they're the same length?
As for the easy out (I think they spell it Eazy Out) anyway... sure you can try it as long as you center punch the bolt/now stud so the initial pilot hole doesn't walk. Then step up a bit to a larger bit until you get to the size Easy Out says to use for that size of bolt.
If that doesn't work then yeah, remove the head & start like Jarad said with double nutting. If that doesn't work... find a friend with a 120v mig welder that can come over & weld a nut to the stud.
Just make sure you allow it to cool, don't splash water on it etc! It'll make the weld brittle. Allow it to cool, then remove it.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 AM

They were new bolts, Felpros. Can I reuse the head gasket if I have to remove the head?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:21 AM
BF Veteran

Doubt reusing the gasket. You're torqueing the bolts in a pattern to squeeze the head gasket properly to seal it. You've already done that & the metel in the gasket is formed.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 AM

Sounds good...dang what a bummer. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If you torqued each bolt in sequence to 80Nm, it's no wonder the bolt broke.
The preferred method for cylinder head bolt torque is to tighten all bolts in sequence to 30 Nm on the first pass. Then do a final pass in sequence as follows:
Long bolts: additional 75 degrees
Medium bolts: additional 65 degrees
Short bolts: additional 55 degrees

DO NOT re-use the bolts or gasket. As Rottidog mentioned, the new gasket is formed, throw it out. The purpose of the additional tightening, (degrees) is to stretch the bolt. They only stretch one time. When they are removed, they join the gaskets in the trash barrel

Old 08-25-2012, 02:31 PM

I was following the torque settings from this thread:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...equence-40812/

First Pass In Sequence - 26 ft-lbs
Second Pass In Sequence - 44 ft-lbs
Final Pass In Sequence - 66 ft-lbs or 89.483984587 nm

Quick Reply: Head bolt broke off when installing the head