2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heat NOT hot enough 1999 Blazer LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member
PrecioustoHim is on a distinguished road
Default Heat NOT hot enough 1999 Blazer LS

Hi Ya'll, It is close to -17F here most days and colder at night, and the heater in my girl just doesn't kick out enough heat. It is barely bearable in the cab. Yesterday I drove 6 miles and it should have been plenty long enough for her to warm up but the temp gauge only read barely 120. As soon as I got her home I popped her hood and looked in her jug and lo and behold there was no anti-freeze in there. I put about a 1/2 gallon in there. I made no difference to the heat situation though.
I just bought my girl from a dealer last week. They obviously did me wrong by not disclosing some of her issues to me.
If I ever get these things straightened out, and can manage to make the dealer pay for all the fixes, I will disclose who they are so no one else gets taken for a ride as I have.

They knew I drove 7 hours one way to purchase this vehicle, they also knew that I am a disabled female that needed a reliable vehicle. Shame on them for not disclosing to me that she has a problem with her passlock security system, the heater, they gave me the wrong spare tire, which I now have the headache of finding the proper fitting one, and there is a whirring noise underneath her from behind the rear drivers wheel, that they told me was normal for this vehicle that I am now being told could be a bad fuel pump.
She only has 100K miles on her and she is in fine condition. She looks inside and out as if someone has taken very good care of her and has a carfax report with all of her maintenance reports. No body rust either.
I did not like the dealer.....that should have told me something.

Attached Thumbnails Heat NOT hot enough 1999 Blazer LS-blazer-ls.jpg  
Old 03-26-2014, 12:44 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Is returning the Blazer an option?

The lack of heat problem is probably just a stuck thermostat. New part is about $10 and pretty easy to change-out. But then there is the question as to why the coolant level was so low? Leaking cooling system? Blown head gasket? This will need to be determined. If head gasket then the engine is likely not going to last very long and this stealer needs to take the vehicle back.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member

LannyL81

Thanks for responding. This has really had me stressed out even though i try to give it up to God to take care of I know it is going to in the end bite me in the bum if it is a bigger deal than just a tiny leak. So I took it to a Chevy dealer yesterday and they put their diagnostic checker on her and found this: needs lower intake manifold resealed, thermostat replaced, and heater core flushed. So I called the dealer that I bought it from this morning, and since their warranty is a 50/50 I will have to pay half of the parts and labor. At first they wanted me to bring it all the way back to them for the fixes which meant about $80 in gas a motel room and the trip there and back which is not all that easy for me to endure.
But after talking to him I got him to let me have a certified mechanic here in my area do the work. Since the dealer wanted about $1000 , I did call around and find a cert. mech. to do the work for about $500.
Plus the dealer is also going to pay the full bill for the replacement of the spare and the spare tire carrier which we found yesterday was rusted frozen. Another thing they neglected to tell me about.

Also the chevy dealer found in their diagnostics that there is no problem with the security, it is acting normal and the whirring noise is the fuel pump also normal. So good on those counts.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Beginning Member
Unhappy

Oh and I would be without a vehicle altogether if I return it as I gave them my trade in and they salvaged it already. And being that far from home and no vehicle would be a bit of a predicament.

I couldn't even in good conscience sell it to the next person without disclosing all the issues.

So fixing it is the only option even though it will take my last penny.

Sometimes having to deal with people really stinks.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:37 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Replacing the thermostat and flushing of the heater core is about a 30 minute job and $10 in parts.
Now the lower intake resealed is a bit of work as there are many bolts and things to remove. The gasket set is about $70...be sure to have them use the good ones from FelPro...not the cheap set or it will need to be done again in the near future.

Also depending upon just how bad the leak is you might be able to delay doing this repair until you have more $$$ saved-up.

Check prices at RockAuto for the parts and compare with the prices of the mech you found.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 AM
Beginning Member
green97blazur is on a distinguished road

thermostat fixed the same problem on my 97

Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Beginning Member

LannyL81 Yes I did call another mech too and he was only about $80 cheaper but I did not care for his mannerisms. I have also used his services before. So i decided it was time to find a different mech. The one I am using this time for the LIM said he uses a metal LIM gasket that has a rubber uhm....film or some such matter on it. I forgto exaclty what he said. But I asked him if he has done these before on this same engine and he said yes, many. He describe the way they clean them up and it sounded very good. New t-stat and core flush, oil change too. Sounded like he knew exactly what he was talking about. And i need to get it done within the 30 days of buying it from the dealer for the 50/50 warranty.
The dealer is paying for the goof up on the spare tire and spare tire carrier and installment, but as for the LIM it goes 50/50.
Thanks for all of your input. It is appreciated.

Had another thing.....yesterday I got in and turned on the heater and the blower would not come on....uh-oh....so I popped the hood and thumped the squirrel cage housing and walla it started blowing and hasn't stopped since. Do you think it could use a blast of oil in there? If so how would I get the oil in there?