2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to know if Airbags are OK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM
fernandoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to know if Airbags are OK?

I bougth my 2000 Blazer to the first owner. I saw a collision at the front, repaired. But know I'm starting to worry about the real condition of the airbags. No lights on (but during the first seconds after key on). Can I open the airbag cap at the wheel to look there?. My worries are related with removed airbags and tricks to the PCM to support that removal. Any decent opinion is welcome.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to know if Airbags are OK?

i would say if theres a fuse in the slot for the airbags and the airbag lights come on when started, it is fine. If light was off when starting and remain off then i would question if they worked.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

you can't remove the cover to "check it out" even if you disconnect the battery...there's always a possibility the charge will go off...(talk to some of the Fire fighters on here) like stated previously above..if the light comes on...it's fine...most frontal collisions don't involve the airbags..you have to kind of hit things just right..that's why airbags don't randomly go off...

Old 10-23-2007, 04:45 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

thats true and also with airbags for the steering wheel they bust through that cover same as the passenger side on most vehicles i want to add plus you can check to see if they are still there which i did myself i took out the center part when test fitting a billet steering wheel just to add if you do take out the center it is easy but be careful disconnect the battery first then there is 4 screws on the backside of the steering wheel that need to come out then the center will be carefull doing this best way is to turn the wheel so the screws are facing down then get under the wheel and do them so your not right in front of the wheel just in case

Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, airbags don't randomly go off until you are grabbing some old ladies purse out of the front seat of the vehicle that just slammed into a telephone pole... Battery in that car was disconnected for a solid 20 minutes before I got hit! They aren't to be messed around with!! But I got a complementary ambulance ride! LMAO..[:@]

If I were to give any advice to anyone working with or around the air bag system (yellow connectors are ONLY used for the airbag system), disconnect the battery and walk away. Come back in, at the very least, 30 minutes. For me, it would be a solid hour. Some vehicles reserve charge in the system can still present a danger after as long as 45 minutes!!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

kyle your right with that and thats exactly why i say under and away i have gotten hit with an airbag before not fun by anymeans i was in an accident when it happened to me boy did that suck and the burns i got on my face yea it was real bad so moral of dealing with checking for an airbag disconnect battery what an hour then when taking it off the steering wheel stay away to under the wheel so you don't get punched if it does go off

Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM
fernandoh is an unknown quantity at this point

My former Neon has a very simple lock for airbags activation: they don`t blow when parking brake is applied. Probably is the same when reverse is geared, but I can`t be sure. The same technical approach is probably presentin the Blazer`s engineering: you don`t need air bags when parked or moving in reverse. Anyway, thanks for your advises. I`ll let the things as are now, the air bags lamp at the cluster turns on stay for few seconds and go away, so in thery everything is OK.