2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to replace TCC solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member
Zack98 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation How do I replace TCC solenoid

Hello I recently bought a 98 GMC Jimmy SLE I knew it had some issues but I might as well have stole it so i don't mind working on it. Now that i have fixed everything i know how to, the TCC solenoid needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me how to do this and what else might be good to replace while I'm at it. I read a post that said the 1-2 3-4 accumulator pistons are those the same as the shift solenoids. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Last edited by Zack98; 02-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Beginning Member
Exclamation

Ok after some more research I know the difference in the accumulator pistons and the shift solenoids I found out on another website were the TCC is located in a 4l60e and one of the shift solenoids not sure about the location of anything else ... Please forgive my ignorance I'm pretty good with anything else mechanically, but over the years i have avoided the transmission like the plague because so many people have told me how difficult they are. This time I have no choice but to learn at least enough to do this. Now i can replace what's is bad but it has 200,000 miles on it and since I'm going to be doing it I would really like to do some preventive measures. right now it seams to shift before 10 mph at low rpms with a jerk then back down and then through the rest but all seem to me to be just a little early, and when i brake to stop it always acts like its going to stall and sometimes does stall. this started at the same time my tachometer died the computer says the TCC is bad so i disregarded my prior suspicion that the two problems were linked somehow.

Last edited by Zack98; 02-19-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Beginning Member
Exclamation

Hello... Should i go so faa to replace all this i don't want to waist my hard earned money but i don't want to have to do this a second time i just want it to last as long as possible

Attached Thumbnails How to replace TCC solenoid-350-003539096-2.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone? Feel free to talk to me I won't bite

Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What computer told you the TCC is bad? Was there a DTC in memory? Was the check engine light on? If so, DTC's never tell you a specific part is bad. It tells you what circuit has a problem, from there you follow the flow chart to diagnose the problem.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Beginning Member

Ok I bought it from a man whose neighbors had stolen the catalytic converter. After i bypassed it with a piece of pipe, the tachometer quit, the torque converter stopped unlocking or i guess started sticking (rarely it will stall out completely), and i noticed that it shifts a little early. I went to O'reillys because the SES light was on they put a code reader on it, and it gave a codes and descriptions. 2 were for o2 sensors which i passed off because the it had been open exhaust after the y. One was the rear wheel speed sensor and the other i believe said torque converter control solenoid stuck on. The codes were PO131 PO151 PO742 and i didn't write down the one for the wheel speed sensor. Now it is starting to not down shift when slowing down before accelerating again like when yielding. Or rolling through a stop. Then when I accelerate it stays in a higher gear and sputters until i floor it our get up to speed, it only does that every so often. I'm not sure if its a related problem but i assume its very possible. Thank you so much for whatever m help you may be able to give.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

First, thank you for your service! You are appreciated more than you can imagine, thank you!

Both oxygen sensor DTC's are indicating lean. Exhaust leaks downstream of the sensors will not affect them, (The open Y pipe will not affect their operation). They need to be diagnosed and repaired before doing, (or assuming) anything else. DTC's must be diagnosed and repaired in the order they are retrieved. Any DTC's after the first one can be falsely set as a result of the first one. Funky O2 sensors will cause the engine to run poorly.... if the engine runs poorly, the transmission will not shift properly.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the appreciation it really means more than most well ever know. Its not as though i feel i deserve it that's just how God made me, I like to help wherever/whoever I can. I get the feeling you do to or you wouldn't help so many on this forum. Ok enough sappy talk I'll have to wait till Friday to get them but I'll replace the O2 sensors this weekend and let you know what happens. Thank you

Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Slow down, not so fast DTC's never tell you to replace a part. They tell you what circuit had a malfunction. Following the flow chart will take you to the problem. This one is for P0131: https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagno...plained-30416/
After completing the flow chart, clear all DTC's from memory and perform a General Motors Driving Cycle to confirm the repair. If the Service Engine Soon light stays off, the repair is complete. If it comes on before, during or after the drive cycle, retrieve the DTC's and repeat the procedure for the appropriate DTC.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member

Ok I just read the chart and now have a suspicion good chance there's a vacuum leak since i won't be able to get my hands on an obd2 scan tool to start the testing until the weekend I'll trace the vacuum lines in the mean time. this weekend i will follow the follow chart and see where it leads me. I'll let you know what i find out.

Quick Reply: How to replace TCC solenoid