2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition switch problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM
tommytucker55 is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition switch problem ?

97 Blazer with 4.3 v-6

After it sits overnight and I turn the key on,it will sometimes take 5-10 seconds before the dash check lights come on.After they light up,it will start ok.A few times the engine shutoff and all the lights lit up while I was driving along.I had to put it in neutral and it restarted ok.

It is intermittent.Today I turned the key and the dash lights would not come on and it would not start.I tried wiggling the key a few times to no avail.

I walked away and came back about a half hour later and everything worked ok.

Do I need a new ignition switch? Or is there another component that I need to look at.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sounds like an ignition switch failure.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:58 AM

I thought that may be the culprit.I'll look for one today and have at it.

The only thing that made me think a little was why the dash light would have a delay of 5- 10 seconds before they turned on.

I replaced this switch 2 years ago.I guess they are not made very well.

Thanks again for a speedy answer.Keep up the good work.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:39 PM
tomsworkin is on a distinguished road

Be sure you are looking at the ignition switch/harnes. It is also call a switch but is different that the key tumbler also know as a switch.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar issue. All would light up but nothing to the starter. I did not want to drop 70 bucks right now so I pulled the switch out and used electrical contact cleaner. I cycled the switch and few times and put it back together. Been great ever since. I realize this is probably temporary, but it is fine for now and I saved 70 bucks.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member
spuds 704 is on a distinguished road

This may not apply but before you tear into that switch check your battery connections, a faulty ground can cause a lot of strange problems.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Beginning Member
airguard1318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Tommy. I also have a 97 blazer and I'm having exactly the same problem. If replacing the ignition switch solves the problem do me a favor and please let me know.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 AM

I got a new switch but haven't put it in yet.It's been raining cats and dogs here.And this is an outside job.

I'll check the ground connections first and see what shakes out of that.

I'll let all of ya know what worked or did not work.

Thanks all for your timely suggestions.

Originally Posted by samuknow
I had a similar issue. All would light up but nothing to the starter. I did not want to drop 70 bucks right now so I pulled the switch out and used electrical contact cleaner. I cycled the switch and few times and put it back together. Been great ever since. I realize this is probably temporary, but it is fine for now and I saved 70 bucks.

I always had power to the starter.When the dash check lights were not on,I could turn the key and the starter would crank ok.It just would not start unless the check lights were on.

I'm glad you figured out what to do by cleaning the switch.Good work.

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-13-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, spraying contact cleaner into the switch will only be a temporary fix if it actually works. The damage is done to the contacts inside. To repair them properly, you would have to disassemble the switch. Check the Anatomy of the Ignition Switch link in my signature for pictures of what it looks like inside as well as words of caution.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 AM
4POINT3VORTEC is on a distinguished road

Mine is doing the same thing...would it be the starter switch(120 dollers) or the cylinder or whatever its called...(20 dollers) lol

Quick Reply: Ignition switch problem ?