2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Illuminated door lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Beginning Member
Kipper667 is on a distinguished road
Default Illuminated door lock

At night I can't see my door lock at all. I've seen other cars that, when you pull up on the handle, a ring around the lock cylinder lights up making it easy to spot the keyhole. I'm pretty sure my interior lights up when pull the handle so patching it in wouldn't be a problem. Most that I've seen were just a plastic ring that surrounded the cylinder with a bulb in it; pretty basic stuff. Does anyone know if they sell these or if any other GM cars come with it so I could try and retrofit? I could use new cylinders, especially the rear hatch as it will no longer accept a key, so it'd be nice if I could get ones that light up.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I have my alarm system hooked up to lock unlock the doors
never use the key , just saying

Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Keyless entry. Install an alarm, and you won't even use your key. I don't think I've seen a GM vehicle with an illuminated key.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 PM

In the 80's Lincoln and Mazda had them
Oh Ya DMC as well

Last edited by rexazz2; 09-12-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 PM
roypai is on a distinguished road

now i'm wondering if i can adapt the ring around a cigarette lighter/power outlet.... even just for the look....

Old 09-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Starting Member
Dobe Rottie Gang is on a distinguished road

1998 blazers have keyless entry, why don't you just use that?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Beginning Member
Kipper667 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the late reply, sick grandmother and running out of town back-n-forth. Yeah, keyless entry would work but I don't know if it has the Passlock system in it and I know Passlock and alarms don't play well together. I just thought it'd be a neat project to attempt if possible. I installed an alarm w/remote start on a Grand AM and it was a constant nightmare until I removed it. I still have it actually. It's sitting in a box somewhere and it has remote start & entry.

Is the keyless entry system that comes with the Blazer a separate system that I could pull out of another Blazer and install in mine or is it built into the computer/ECM?

@Roypi Were you talking about adding the illuminated lighter to your car or were you talking about using the ring from the lighter on the door? You can buy illuminated lighters easily but the ring is too large for the door.

Now that I think about it I believe the remote start/keyless that I have somewhere doesn't have an alarm. I think it's just start & entry. I bought it from Circuit City years ago & only used it for about 1.5 years. I'll have to check.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM

If you have power locks already it would probably be much easier to install an aftermarket alarm system with door controls

here is wiring support
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew...gdiagrams.aspx

Old 09-19-2013, 05:34 PM
roypai is on a distinguished road

adding the cig ring to the door - and you're right it wouldn't work - was thinking of the key slot they used to have on old 80's suburbans i think - brain fart :S

Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The passlock system (actually Passlock II in 98+ S-series trucks) only affects remote starters. It's a theft deterent system that's part of the ignition cylinder. A keyless entry or alarm system would have no effect on the Passlock system.

As a former auto electronics installer I will say that in my experience 99% of the problems people have with alarms and remote starters are cheap/poor installation methods and/or cheap low quality products. Go with a quality alarm system and a good installer or proper installation techniques and you'll never have a problem. Our shop only sold quality products with lifetime warranties and we offered lifetime warranty on our labour too. We almost never had to do warranty work. The shop down the road from us was an el-cheapo fly by night place that supplied us with tons of upgrade work because they wouldn't warranty any of their work, and their dissatisfied customers would end up coming to us to fix the problems caused by their crappy methods and crappy products.

Quick Reply: Illuminated door lock