2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

instrument and dash bezel lights burnt out

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 AM
tolleyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default instrument and dash bezel lights burnt out

Hi I own a 2002 blazer zr2. I was driving home and all the instrument lights went out, so did the trim lights on the dash bezel including the power locks and window lights, the fog lamp lightand 4x4 lights still work somehow and all the fuses are fine, I have no clue whats wrong and dont believe all the LED all went out at the same time. the dimmer does nothing except turn on the interior lights and all the switches still function,they just dont illuminate?Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 07-29-2007, 01:45 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: instrument and dash bezel lights burnt out

First of all they are not LED's that are behind there, they should be little incandescent bulbs. Secondly, by instrument lights do you mean the wiper, lights, HVAC, radio, power locks and power window lights went out and the gauge cluster still lights up? I would check all the fuses again, and just try replacing the ones the control the lights with a fuse of equal or greater value (ie. originally a 15amp to a 20amp etc.). Otherwise I would pull the power window/locks switch from the door and remove the bulb at the top of the switch and see if it is burnt out (would look like a normal light bulb if broken, broken filament and blackend). Otherwise I have no idea what it could be other than maybe a faulty light control switch.

-Lenny

Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

My truck has this sameproblem.....it irks me to no end but i figured out what it is (for me at least). The dimmer switch shorted out for me and what i found is that if you rock the switchto the spot just before it turnson the dome lighton (basically push it up really slow once it hit resistance at the top) it will turn the lights back on and the dome light will remain off. Granted this will keep the bulbs at full brightness but hey it works (mine has been this way for nearly 2 years, keep forgetting about it). As a more permanent fix you might want to get a new headlight control switch. They are cheap and easy to install. Hopefully this helps.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:59 PM
tolleyc is an unknown quantity at this point

no kidding! Yea I noticed that durring the day the lights on the electronic compass and temp are are and fine but as soon as night or darkness hit, everything goes dark, booooooo.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:11 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeap that sounds just like what mine is doing. Its the dang swtich, LOL. Everything is tied into it. What was funny is i got to see mine toast itself. I had my radio out because i was putting in a new deck and i had to go get a new head unit. I was driving down tofry's electronicswhen i heard alightpopand then a curl of smoke sneak out of the hole where the radio was. After that, no lights dash lights or compass or pretty much anything. I know i didnt toast anything else cuz i borrowed a new switch off a 98 and it worked fine so basically for whatever reason the variable resistor in there just went to poop.