2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lucas Products--- Any good or just a gimmick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Lucas Products--- Any good or just a gimmick?

I am running Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my 10W-30 oil and I notice 5-10 PSI better oil pressure on average and some small performance improvements, as less noise on startup sometimes. I also sometimes use Lucas fuel injector cleaner to keep the engine cleaned out so I get better gas mileage.
If I put Lucas Transmission Fix in a good transmission (80k on it, original tranny) when I put the tranny cooler in next week (when I got the truck home for the long weekend from college), would it cause any problems or will it make it last longer?
This truck has 80,400 miles on it and I am looking to do preventative actions (like using Lucas additives and keeping up on the required maintenance items) to make the major parts of the truck last longer to ensure reliability. Do any of the products I described actually work to extend the life of the engine, tranny, fuel system, etc???

This all may sound stupid, but I am trying to keep repair bills to a minimum and keep my AAA card in my wallet (knock on wood).

Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

A trans cooler will help the tranny more than anything. As for Lucas Products I could tell you success story after story of their products. I like them & have run them for a long time. As for oil stabilizer I prefer "POWER PUNCH" The reason is I used it years ago then couldn't find it. Well my local NAPA carry's it & it is a few cents cheaper. But the main thing I like is you can use POWER PUNCH with Dino or Synthetic. You don't have to pay the big money for Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer. POWER PUNCH says it can be used with either. I have run it for a year in my Blazer & Jeep with synthetic oil & no problems. Plus POWER PUNCH is a "Godly Company".

Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

I use Lucas fuel fuel treatment/fuel injector cleaner every other tank in my vehicles. I notice about 1-2 mpg more than when i don't use it. I think using it every tank would be going a little overboard. As for their transmission fix stuff, I used it in my blazer's tranny to try and stop a small leak. It stopped it, and shortly after the seal failed entirely. This of course could have been bad timing, but the mechanic who resealed my transmission told me that it swells the seals and could cause them to fail. I second the trans cooler.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlaziNator
I use Lucas fuel fuel treatment/fuel injector cleaner every other tank in my vehicles. I notice about 1-2 mpg more than when i don't use it. I think using it every tank would be going a little overboard. As for their transmission fix stuff, I used it in my blazer's tranny to try and stop a small leak. It stopped it, and shortly after the seal failed entirely. This of course could have been bad timing, but the mechanic who resealed my transmission told me that it swells the seals and could cause them to fail. I second the trans cooler.
Wow, it really blew the seal?? What about anything else like something I found in AutoZone : "Transmission Honey"? Or are they all the same?

P.S.: What seal do you mean? Did they have to drop the tranny to replace it? Just curious for my info in case it happens to mine.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 10-05-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
A trans cooler will help the tranny more than anything. As for Lucas Products I could tell you success story after story of their products. I like them & have run them for a long time. As for oil stabilizer I prefer "POWER PUNCH" The reason is I used it years ago then couldn't find it. Well my local NAPA carry's it & it is a few cents cheaper. But the main thing I like is you can use POWER PUNCH with Dino or Synthetic. You don't have to pay the big money for Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer. POWER PUNCH says it can be used with either. I have run it for a year in my Blazer & Jeep with synthetic oil & no problems. Plus POWER PUNCH is a "Godly Company".
I'll have to try synthetic oil and Power Punch at the next oil change. I use conventional usually, but as my car is aging, I think I should switch. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 10-05-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I can't believe Lucas caused a seal failure by over swelling it. First they don't swell them they soft them if hard. I tend to think the seal was failing long before Lucas entered the trans. If you have seal problems Trans X is the best. Trans X has been around as long as automatic transmission have been. I remember using it in the early 60s.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Lucas makes very good products

Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

It was the front pump seal. Don't get me wrong, I would still recommend Lucas products over any of their competitors. Just passing along what I was told. If this helps you any, when my seal did fail I was embarking on a 6 hours journey across Texas. My transmission went dry and began to slip before I noticed the now major leak. I then turned my truck around and drove it 35 mph for 5 miles back to a rest stop before I had it towed home. Once home, I drove it to the mechanic shop (10 minute in-town drive). The shop resealed my tranny and filled it up...works great. No slips, perfect shifts. The mechanics told me everything looked great. As far as I'm concerned, our transmissions are pretty solid.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:37 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i throw in the oil stabilizer with my oil changes on all my vehicles. used the trans fluid too, never had an issue.
the gear oil stuff is freakin' amazing! i was on my 3rd trans in my '92, and the damn thing was so loud i couldn't talk on my cell! (it was louder than the M21 in my Dad's '72 Chevelle!!), now i did end up running it 100% Lucas (in the trans, even though you're not supposed to), but it almost shut it up completely, and the truck was on the road for another 2 years after switching the fluid type. their power stearing fix works wonders too.

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
i'm not sure what the cost of Lucas products is in the US, but a bottle of Oil Stabilizer is $12.99, and the synthetic is only $2 more.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member
814_fye is on a distinguished road

lucass oil products are good stuff i filled the oil filter on my big truck with a gallon of lucas oil treatment every oil change and the fuel filter with lucas fuel treatment every time and used lucas grease and my cat had over a million miles on the engine and injectors before i rebuilt it do to a comin problem in cats of the jake brake cam followers lifters in most vehicles broke and wiped the cam but these cat motors normally only get around 500,000 before needing injectors and rebuilt plus the grease saved alot of maintanence on the wear items also.I ran it in my drag car and when it came time to freshen up the motor i pulled the motor put it on a engine stand pulled the drain plug and left it sit for 6 months when i tore it apart lucas oil still was stuck to every part of the oil system completely eliminating dry starts witch we all know is about 3/4 of engine wear

Last edited by 814_fye; 10-17-2009 at 04:49 PM.