2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Melted block heater cord

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road
Default Melted block heater cord

Hey i need some advise please, i plugged in my block heater the other night, (its minus 53 celcius heare today with wind chill) and my blazer didnt start this morning. I wasnt sure if the block heater cord was working because the cord looked ripped behind the plug that i plug the extension cord into. I bought a new end and cut the cord back a bit and put the new end on, still not working. Then i followed the cord down under the blaze to find it was burnt completely off. all i can see is melted plastic around where the block heater is in the block. My Question is can i clean out the old melted plug and just put a new plug on or should i swap out the whole heater itself. Thankyou in advance for any help.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road

depending on the extent of the damage and the access to the block heater.
you might want to try an aftermarket heater click on link

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...64f45f&mscbg=0

Old 12-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the block heater as well. The heater in my K5 has a replaceable cord. It just plugs into the block heater right at the block. Take a look at yours. Try prying around the cord with a screw driver to see if the cord comes loose.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the info swartlkk, i picked up a 200 watt magnetic heater this afternoon but its just wedged in place because it doesnt stick to the aluminum oil pan haha but i hope this gets it running so i can get it to a shop.
I do have a new block heater cord but the old one was melted to nothing, i cant even see if there are terminals left to connect the new cord to .
Do you know if the factory block heater has any plastic on it that could melt? Im wondering this because if the factory block heater does not have any plastic then i know that the melted plastic that i do see is just from the old cord and i will try to clean it up to install the new cord. Does that make sence ? lol Sorry im typing in a hurry

also thanks cc4usa

Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road

if you look around you might find a dipstick heater that you can maybe use to heat the oil. till you fix it permanently. and unless the dipstick heater is model specific you can use it on any car you have and its not money wasted

Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Starting Member

Well i got my blazer started but now i am afraid i have an even bigger problem. the check engine light came on the first time since i owned it and more importantly it wont idle by itsef. It will stall if i let off the gas and it doesnt run smooth unless i hold the revs abouve 1500. The temp reads normal operating temp and the oil presure is 275 while im holding the throttle to keep it running but if i take my foot off the gas the revs drop fast and the oil presure drops off as it stalls . It starts up ok but im very worried i hurt somthing when i started it. Its minus 47 with wind chill here right now. Please help me , im worried about my baby

Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Getting the code read will point you in the proper direction.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Starting Member

i dont have a code reader but i did notice a powerfull smell of gas the whole time it was running if that helps to figure it out

Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Starting Member

ok i let the blaze sit for an hour , went outside and started it and it started alot easier and idled by itself. i took it for an hour long test drive and it got better and better untill it was idling perfect and the guages were reading normal. i shut it off to get gas and when i started it after that it started perfectly. so basically its back to normal other than the check engine light is still on. I have my command start set to start the blazer once an hour overnight so it wont freeze up without the block heater. yes its a waste of gas but its worth it to me if it saves the blazer from anymore problems. ill get back to everyone who is interested when i find out which code it has givin me.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Starting Member

This morning wnen i went outside to check the blazer the check engine light was off so im considering myself lucky. Thanks guys for the help.

Quick Reply: Melted block heater cord