2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My 2000 ZR2 Blazer Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 12:59 PM
supernovahellcat is on a distinguished road
Default My 2000 ZR2 Blazer Nightmare

I had a 96 2 door for years with minimal problems. I drove it from SC to Louisiana countless times without issue. I LOVED that truck but eventually sold it. Fast forward to this past September, I came across a 2000 2dr ZR2 with really low miles (130,000) at a pretty decent price because it needed a water pump. I took it to the mechanic, had that repaired and asked him to give it a thorough lookover. Since then I have had one or more major things go wrong on a pretty consistent 2 week rotation. AAA is probably going to drop me over the amount of times I've had this baby towed. I even saged it in case it was potentially possessed by a demon (I'm not usually the chick into so much woowoo stuff but I'm desperate). At this point if I get rid of it, I'll take a real loss, which is ok if that's what I absolutely need to do. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? Help a gal out with any advice or condolences.

Since Sept (3months) this is what I've had done:
-Fuel pump
-Radiator Replacement
-Water Pump
-Power Steering Pump and Reservoir
-Fan Shroud Replacement
-4wd Transfer Case and Switch Replacement
-Heater Core Replacement
-Complete AC overhaul
-Windshield Wiper Motor
-Crankshaft Sensor
-Idler pulley replacement

Old 11-27-2018, 02:52 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by supernovahellcat
I had a 96 2 door for years with minimal problems. I drove it from SC to Louisiana countless times without issue. I LOVED that truck but eventually sold it. Fast forward to this past September, I came across a 2000 2dr ZR2 with really low miles (130,000) at a pretty decent price because it needed a water pump. I took it to the mechanic, had that repaired and asked him to give it a thorough lookover. Since then I have had one or more major things go wrong on a pretty consistent 2 week rotation. AAA is probably going to drop me over the amount of times I've had this baby towed. I even saged it in case it was potentially possessed by a demon (I'm not usually the chick into so much woowoo stuff but I'm desperate). At this point if I get rid of it, I'll take a real loss, which is ok if that's what I absolutely need to do. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? Help a gal out with any advice or condolences.

-Fuel pump
-Radiator Replacement
-Water Pump
-Fan Shroud Replacement
-Heater Core Replacement
-Complete AC overhaul
-Windshield Wiper Motor
-Crankshaft Sensor
Some pretty expensive repairs I know, to absorb all at once.

Fuel pumps are common problems that are pretty pricey, no matter what vehicle these days.

Sounds like this vehicle had big cooling system problems with heater core/water pump/radiator/idler pulley/fan shroud replacement. Most of these problems are almost always due to neglect (not changing the coolant).

Wiper motor is an uncommon problem - as is the power steering pump.

Transfer case control module and/or the encoder motor are common problems. 4WD switch is commonly mis-diagnosed as the problem. Not sure if you are saying that you had the entire transfer case replaced....

The biggest thing that is a common problem on these Blazers (that you have not mentioned) is the Intake gaskets leaking. This can put coolant in your oil and ruin the engine. But intake gaskets on a 2000 have probably been replaced by now. A sharp experienced eye could tell you if they have been replaced. NEVER have someone just tighten them. The proper torque is critical. Other than this, if the vehicle runs good it has a chance of being a good vehicle for you.

But vehicle repairs can get very expensive on an older vehicle, if you have to pay someone to do the work. If I was advising my daughter who cannot work on her car, I would recommend that she buy or lease a vehicle that has a warranty.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-27-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I wanted second what Les Meyer said. The LIM gasket is something that should be checked.

In addition to what you have already replaced and the LIM gasket, I would think that the other potential issues and parts that might need to be replaced would include the following (depending on how the truck was driven and maintained):
  • Front end components: (none very expensive and not too involved)
    • Ball joints (upper and lower)
    • idler arm
    • front wheel hubs
    • upper control arm bushings
  • transmission (3/4 clutch pack failure due to lack of fluid/filter service and/or towing using overdrive) (expensive, must go to a shop)
  • leaking lines for the remote oil filter (cheap part but annoying job to do)
  • Transfer case control module (easy and not too expensive)

Between what you, Les Meyer, and I have listed, these cover all of the things I've had to do to my Blazer and what I have heard of people having to do. The exceptions for me would be the following that I have not had to replace (yet?).
  • water pump,
  • heater core,
  • fan shroud,
  • crank position sensor,
  • fuel pump.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:44 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

SUPERNOVAHELLCAT:
Radiators have a limited lifetime and greatly depends upon coolant maintenance, but will need replacement. Same goes for the heater core....it is just a radiator. Water pump...not so much.....fan shroud....the plastic does get brittle due to the heat. Same goes for the plastic cover around the AC condenser core...it just falls apart.
The water pump was probably replaced as a "while I am here" by the mechanic....and gets them additional money.

Fuel pumps have a lifetime as well.

The transfer case....really?....would like to have you detail what problems you were having that led to the TC being replaced. The switch assembly is very common and is usually just cracked solder joints....a quick 15 minute fix.

I had to replace the wiper motor on mine, but I think I caused that by bending the wiper arms in an attempt to get the windshield fully wiped; it was skipping. I did this with the motor running and probably put too much load on the little motor.

AC overhaul....probably due to a leaking high pressure port valve....but if the compressor seals came apart they go into the system and cause problems which require a complete line flush and component replacement.....not unheard of happening.

Lastly the crankshaft position sensor.....the front cover is plastic on these engines and will leak oil right onto the sensor. It is an easy part to replace and not very expensive.

Hopefully your mechanic is trustworthy and did not just come-up with all these repairs just to increase their income.

A 2000 Blazer is 19 years old now and as Christine listed above suspension components will likely be needing replacement as well. Most of us here to our own repairs and is often the only reason for keeping our Blazers. They have low market value and to pay someone for repairs will exceed the Blazer value pretty quickly.

As was suggested above by Les it might be best to cut your losses and get a newer vehicle and perhaps look into an extended service contract for it.

On a side note, my Blazer has been sitting on jack stands for two weeks waiting for replacement rear axles to arrive; I believe I caused the problem, but the parts cost alone is about $250....which is 10% of the market value.....can only estimate that it would be easily twice this had I had to have a shop do the work.....

Good luck.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:21 PM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by supernovahellcat

-Fuel pump
-Radiator Replacement
-Water Pump
-Fan Shroud Replacement
-Heater Core Replacement
-Complete AC overhaul
-Windshield Wiper Motor
-Crankshaft Sensor

Well, I feel bad for you that you're going through this. I might add that most vehicles that are near 20 years old are subject to most mechanical parts being serviced or replaced, unless the previous owners have done the maintenance.

I guess a "buyer beware" and full due diligence is necessary when purchasing a vehicle that old for a daily driver.

I purchased my 2001 ZR2 Blazer in January of this year. From looking it over and inspecting it I new I would have to invest around $10,000 before I could call it a 8-9 on a ten scale. I already have $5800 in PARTS alone, not to mention what I paid for it. That does not include a new engine or transmission yet. I do all of my own work, otherwise my parts and labor would probably reach the $9000 area.

These are not inexpensive trucks to work on if you have to rely on paying a mechanic or garage.

This is mine so far.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I get your headaches and wonders. It's a mutual feeling q all get lol. Mine hasn't broken me yet, ONLY because I do most work myself. If I would've paid a mechanic to do the work, I would easily be about 6g out. And for paying 1200-1400, I would've moved on by now... but shes been with me through ups and down for the last couple of years, and shes been holding up sp far. My biggest problem at the moment is getting out of the habit of what I can afford for now... it's not being worth it in the end lol.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Some pretty expensive repairs I know, to absorb all at once.

Fuel pumps are common problems that are pretty pricey, no matter what vehicle these days.

Sounds like this vehicle had big cooling system problems with heater core/water pump/radiator/idler pulley/fan shroud replacement. Most of these problems are almost always due to neglect (not changing the coolant).

Wiper motor is an uncommon problem - as is the power steering pump.

Transfer case control module and/or the encoder motor are common problems. 4WD switch is commonly mis-diagnosed as the problem. Not sure if you are saying that you had the entire transfer case replaced....

The biggest thing that is a common problem on these Blazers (that you have not mentioned) is the Intake gaskets leaking. This can put coolant in your oil and ruin the engine. But intake gaskets on a 2000 have probably been replaced by now. A sharp experienced eye could tell you if they have been replaced. NEVER have someone just tighten them. The proper torque is critical. Other than this, if the vehicle runs good it has a chance of being a good vehicle for you.

But vehicle repairs can get very expensive on an older vehicle, if you have to pay someone to do the work. If I was advising my daughter who cannot work on her car, I would recommend that she buy or lease a vehicle that has a warranty.
Thanks for this reply. I didn't quite connect that so much was cooling system related. The coolant looked like red mud when I got it, so I knew at a minimum a system flush was in order. But what I'm putting together from the vehicle history, it sat in a garage for at least a few years which would lead to entropy issues. I have a mechanic doing some work but am also doing some work myself. After the last repair, we are running great.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by LannyL81
SUPERNOVAHELLCAT:
Radiators have a limited lifetime and greatly depends upon coolant maintenance, but will need replacement. Same goes for the heater core....it is just a radiator. Water pump...not so much.....fan shroud....the plastic does get brittle due to the heat. Same goes for the plastic cover around the AC condenser core...it just falls apart.
The water pump was probably replaced as a "while I am here" by the mechanic....and gets them additional money.

Fuel pumps have a lifetime as well.

The transfer case....really?....would like to have you detail what problems you were having that led to the TC being replaced. The switch assembly is very common and is usually just cracked solder joints....a quick 15 minute fix.

I had to replace the wiper motor on mine, but I think I caused that by bending the wiper arms in an attempt to get the windshield fully wiped; it was skipping. I did this with the motor running and probably put too much load on the little motor.

AC overhaul....probably due to a leaking high pressure port valve....but if the compressor seals came apart they go into the system and cause problems which require a complete line flush and component replacement.....not unheard of happening.

Lastly the crankshaft position sensor.....the front cover is plastic on these engines and will leak oil right onto the sensor. It is an easy part to replace and not very expensive.

Hopefully your mechanic is trustworthy and did not just come-up with all these repairs just to increase their income.

A 2000 Blazer is 19 years old now and as Christine listed above suspension components will likely be needing replacement as well. Most of us here to our own repairs and is often the only reason for keeping our Blazers. They have low market value and to pay someone for repairs will exceed the Blazer value pretty quickly.

As was suggested above by Les it might be best to cut your losses and get a newer vehicle and perhaps look into an extended service contract for it.

On a side note, my Blazer has been sitting on jack stands for two weeks waiting for replacement rear axles to arrive; I believe I caused the problem, but the parts cost alone is about $250....which is 10% of the market value.....can only estimate that it would be easily twice this had I had to have a shop do the work.....

Good luck.
My mechanic has been quite helpful and surprisingly inexpensive and I have been handling a few issues myself. My father was a mechanic with Ingles and CocaCola for many years and taught me a few things but I'll admit I left much to him to "just fix". I figured a forum of Blazer enthusiasts would be a good place to go to learn more. I love my truck and want to get it right. I understand as an older vehicle it's an undertaking, but just wanted to know if these were common issues with my era or year. I appreciate any info or insight I can get.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zenith
Well, I feel bad for you that you're going through this. I might add that most vehicles that are near 20 years old are subject to most mechanical parts being serviced or replaced, unless the previous owners have done the maintenance.

I guess a "buyer beware" and full due diligence is necessary when purchasing a vehicle that old for a daily driver.

I purchased my 2001 ZR2 Blazer in January of this year. From looking it over and inspecting it I new I would have to invest around $10,000 before I could call it a 8-9 on a ten scale. I already have $5800 in PARTS alone, not to mention what I paid for it. That does not include a new engine or transmission yet. I do all of my own work, otherwise my parts and labor would probably reach the $9000 area.

These are not inexpensive trucks to work on if you have to rely on paying a mechanic or garage.

This is mine so far.

Your girl is a beauty! We buy and invest in these because we love them. I think my main misconception here was the mileage. I had hoped a vehicle of that year and that mileage would be like a vehicle of the appropriate year and that mileage, but entropy is a beast. Sitting and neglect hath wreaked havoc upon my ZR2! In terms of body, interior and suspension she's great. It seems like time and neglect beat my components to **** though.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208
I wanted second what Les Meyer said. The LIM gasket is something that should be checked.

In addition to what you have already replaced and the LIM gasket, I would think that the other potential issues and parts that might need to be replaced would include the following (depending on how the truck was driven and maintained):
  • Front end components: (none very expensive and not too involved)
    • Ball joints (upper and lower)
    • idler arm
    • front wheel hubs
    • upper control arm bushings
  • transmission (3/4 clutch pack failure due to lack of fluid/filter service and/or towing using overdrive) (expensive, must go to a shop)
  • leaking lines for the remote oil filter (cheap part but annoying job to do)
  • Transfer case control module (easy and not too expensive)

Between what you, Les Meyer, and I have listed, these cover all of the things I've had to do to my Blazer and what I have heard of people having to do. The exceptions for me would be the following that I have not had to replace (yet?).
  • water pump,
  • heater core,
  • fan shroud,
  • crank position sensor,
  • fuel pump.
I've definitely noted your suggestions. I'm taking it in to my tire/suspension folks to get the stabilizer bar checked out and will have them inspect the front end components. Other than those potential problems I've done everything else aside from the transmission. My '96 had rear end issues so thankfully I'm not there yet.

Quick Reply: My 2000 ZR2 Blazer Nightmare