2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tranny fluid leaking???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:05 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny fluid leaking???

Alrighty everyone i just got home from a trip to ny from nc and back. I did about a total of 1200 miles in the last 10 days or so and the truck has been running excellent! So i went out to much truck 2 day looked underneath and nere the tranny pan are all wet or shinny spots. There on the frame the axle a little bit on the transfer case and the tranny the pan. The fluid is red so i no its tranny fluid because i changed my transfer case fluid about 3 months ago to the gm autotrac fluid which is blue. Now i checked my fluid and its not low i have no check engine lights on and the tranny fluid color is red and dosent smell burnt. I feel no difference in the transmission and everything works fine but i wanna no why is there fluid and can the become a problem in the future or was it just because the truck has driven so much in the last couple of days. The truck has just almost 90,000 miles on it as well. Heres some pics

oo and alot of the spot like on the tranny pan i wiped with a rag before i took photos but you can still see where it was

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is just the GM Rust Prevention System (tm) working! LOL

It is possible that it was a little too full and during the long haul, it burped out the vent tube...

Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM

hahaha that would be it probably then kyle cause i did fill it up a little to much accidentaly. And i can see where the tube is and it looks like it came out of there. thanks just wanted 2 make sure instead of ignoring it

Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I would not worry too much about it then.

You would not believe how many people I have heard curse GM for when they cured their quite problematic rear axle and transmission lip seal problems in the mid-80's. Up here in NY where salt is the ice defense of choice, that oil that was sprayed around by the driveshaft kept the underside of many vehicles rust free!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:30 PM

wow thats funny haha

Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

seems to me that your pan gasket is seeping, it doesn't seem like a big deal but can't hurt to change the filter and the pan gasket

Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 PM

thanks but im good i no now it was wat kyle said because i remember filling it up 2 much, and i can see the tube hes talking about and its mainly wet where the tub is. Plus i dont wanna take a chance of blowing my tranny by changing the fluid / filter but thanks for the suggestion much appreciated