2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

oil filter adapter on block?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member
buck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil filter adapter on block?

I have to replace my oil cooler lines, front & rear. Is there a o-ring? that should be replaced between the block adapter and engine block, while I have the lines off?

TIA

Old 02-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: oil filter adapter on block?

There is an o-ring seal at this location, but I would not say that you need to replace it if it is not leaking.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Beginning Member

that whole area is soaked in oil so i will have to degrease to find out.

thanks[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Also have a look up on the top of the block where the oil pressure sending unit is plumbed in. This is a very common leak point that drenches the side of the block.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member

You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? I have oil on the side of the block, from just below the spark plugs on down. I was thinking it was just from the air blowing but dunno yet. I'll have to check that

Old 02-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to jump in here but speaking of oil lines. 1999 The hoses in the front of the car where the filter is are wet with oil, Do these usually leak at the 'O' rings where they connect to the Oil Filter housing or do they usually leak where the soft lines are crimped to the steel? Just like BUCK, it's hard to figure wher ethe leak starts. I'll have to pull the Lower Plastic Guard and Degrease to see.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Definitely the most common leak point is where the crimps are connecting the rubber hose to the aluminum line.

As far as a diagram... Let me see if I can find one...

That should do it. Not an actual picture, but a diagram...

Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member

Tony,
You can get the lines that go from the oil filter(inside the trap door)to the radiator/cooler for about $35 at Napa. The lines that go from the trap door to the block are about $50.

I think I need the more $$ ones, go figure!

Kyle,
Thanks for the diagram that's what I needed

Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member

Upon researching previous owners, I found out that my oil cooler lines were replaced at 40,000 miles. There is one drip hanging on the rubber hose for the oil cooler lines. I am will keep an eye on it for now, as I don't have/want to spend the money at this time (may be getting layoff?)

As far as the bottom of the engine wet with oil.....dunno yet. I checked the oil pressure sending unit it is dry as a bone and the gauge works correctly. I pulled the plug on the bellhousing and the flex plate and T/C are also bone dry[sm=icon_rock.gif]
I did notice a drip on the block oil filter adapter bolts(the 2 bolts in the center of it) I have oil wetness low on the front of the engine(crank pulley on down)
The bellhousing has oil on both sides. I am starting to think it is the oil pan gasket? I checked all the bolts I could reach and maybe got a 1/4 turn at the most.

If it is the oil pan gasket, it looks like a real pain in the.... looks like a lot of disassembly[sm=bangbang.gif]