2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Filter, Change or Keep

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:11 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

The 10k,15k, and 20k for oil filters is to match the new extended oil change intervals=OCI. Not to run the old oil filters with the new oil! Always change the filter and the oil together. I would like to refer you to an oil and filter site that has been around for a while. Go to 'bob is the oil guy' or just BITOG.com for all the info on oil and filters. In a word, they do not like Fram oil filters. They say that once long ago Fram filters were okay. Then they decided to pour all the money used for R & D into marketing---read TV and mag ad's. They made the filters off shore and dirt cheap. Read fiber board end caps and other short cuts. BITOG calls Fram the orange can of death! For the same price, you can use a Wix, or Gold or Silver NAPA--made by Wix, or an AC Delco PF 47 or PF 52. Just don't use the AC Delco with the 'e' at the end. As in PF 52e.
The BITOG guys actually cut open the filter cans--both new and used--- with a pipe cutter to examine the internals. That's how they know about the fiber board end caps! They also count the number of pleats in the filter material and what the exact material is.
Those companies who make claims like 20k OCI are not the ones who will pay for your damaged engine, you are. Don't cheap out on a Fram , especially a long interval Fram. It will cost you much more money in the long run. Go price an engine to prove it to yourself.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:18 AM

The radio car guys I listen to recommend a 3k OCI if you are using petroleum oil and a 5k OCI if you are using full synthetic. Then there is synthetic blend a.k.a. 'synblend' oil that we haven't discussed yet. Please read the oil bottle label and you will see it is labeled conventional oil, full syn oil, or blended oil. Like I said earlier, the 'extended oil filters' were designed to match the extended oil change intervals recommended by some car and truck manufacturers and oil company producers. I can't see trying to go 10k or 15k on synthetic oil. VW-Audi comes to mind. If you do follow one of these extended intervals, be sure to check the oil level closely because oil usage can continue even though the interval is longer.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:49 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Think of it like this, They are like subwoofers when it comes to marketing.
You often will see a subwoofer list the PEAK power in large text to draw you in.
Same thing here, they show the MAX miles this filter can handle, just to draw you in.

Always change your filter when you change your oil.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 AM
Starting Member
RMBlazernut is on a distinguished road

I use AC Delco parts only. I get my oil filters for 4.95 every oil change. And because of high mileage i change my oil every 2000 miles.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:54 AM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
The 10k,15k, and 20k for oil filters is to match the new extended oil change intervals=OCI. Not to run the old oil filters with the new oil! Always change the filter and the oil together. I would like to refer you to an oil and filter site that has been around for a while. Go to 'bob is the oil guy' or just BITOG.com for all the info on oil and filters. In a word, they do not like Fram oil filters. They say that once long ago Fram filters were okay. Then they decided to pour all the money used for R & D into marketing---read TV and mag ad's. They made the filters off shore and dirt cheap. Read fiber board end caps and other short cuts. BITOG calls Fram the orange can of death! For the same price, you can use a Wix, or Gold or Silver NAPA--made by Wix, or an AC Delco PF 47 or PF 52. Just don't use the AC Delco with the 'e' at the end. As in PF 52e.
The BITOG guys actually cut open the filter cans--both new and used--- with a pipe cutter to examine the internals. That's how they know about the fiber board end caps! They also count the number of pleats in the filter material and what the exact material is.
Those companies who make claims like 20k OCI are not the ones who will pay for your damaged engine, you are. Don't cheap out on a Fram , especially a long interval Fram. It will cost you much more money in the long run. Go price an engine to prove it to yourself.
I'm just guessing a lot has changed since you've been there last..

1. Many people run filters for more than one OCI. I have on my truck and my Jeep without issues, but I also use synthetic oil.
2. Ecore filters (like the PF52e as in Ecore) are a different design with more rugged internals. I've also used these without issues.
3. Also, if a company is doing well, they advertise.. If they weren't doing well, advertising would be the first thing to go.
4. Fram still makes many filters in the USA too. They off shore about as much as WIX, which is now owned by the Germans (Mann+Hummel) as well as Purolator (same parent company as WIX).
5. I've used many many Fram filters over the years. Their Ultra is probably the most popular on BITOG at the moment. Rated for 20k too.
6. I know you didn't mention Purolator, but their quality has fallen off the fast of the Earth. They've had tearing issues for the last 4 years or so.

Last edited by dlundblad; 08-14-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Gather other opinions besides mine and make your own decision with what feels right for you because there will be others here and elsewhere that do not agree with these thoughts.

I hang out here and many other vehicle sites from boats to cars to motorcycles. The overwhelming strategy is very frequent oil changes and filters at every change. I personally don't agree with this approach. I have three vehicles with mileage up to 265K all bought new. My most frequent oil change interval is to follow the GM computer on my wifes 2012 Malibu. It's M1 synthetic and the average change interval has been around 11,000 miles. Shes at 120K and the car runs like a top. This is what the manufacturer requires for warranty.

My 2002 Blazer has 205K miles on it with good compression, all with PYB dyno oil. SInce around 200,000 there has been some loss in idle pressure but average for what I read here at this mileage. The average change interval has been around 14K with some intervals as high as 25K during a terrible period of family grief with illness and loss. Lots of long trips to hospitals etc and little time for maintainance on anything. I don't recommend this behavior but it does provide an interesting extreme data point that I got by accident, so to speak. For the last few years I'm around 10-15K miles.

My toyota has 265K miles all with various semi synthetic oils. Penzoil and Kendall. Average change interval has been around 12K miles. The engine runs great, no compression problems. This oil comes out the cleanest at change intervals.

I always use good filters and change each time - K&N and Mobil 1.

I don't like sending all of that used oil to the recycling center and I don't like spending the money and the time under the vehicles when it does not appear necessary. You decide but these three vehicles have over one half million miles on them with no oil related issues and have never seen less than a 10,000 mile interval except during warranty visits with coupons. These three vehicles have had around 50 oil changes vs 200 changes at 3,000 mile intervals. That's almost 200 gallons of oil that I did not buy. I also saved 150 filters. My strategy is good oil and filters and longer intervals. Maybe my strategy is a little extreme but 3,000 mile intervals is not necessary unless you have extreme conditions like heavy towing or dirty off road miles.

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 08-14-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:50 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I do mine every 10000 km, 6.2-- miles... use the fram ultra filter and castrol edge synthetic... done that for the last 130000+ kms. I also do one before and after long road trips(Florida and back, I live in ontario), engine has been just as good as the day I picked her up.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:12 AM
jacked_72 is on a distinguished road

Buy the AC Delco filter from Walmart for $3.79. That's a lot less than you're paying for Fram. I don't think I ever spent $10 on an oil filter. I usually use the Napa silver and they're about $4 per. Personally, I think it is foolish to not change the filter every time you change oil. As almost everyone has said, its cheap insurance.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Timmins_Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
I do mine every 10000 km, 6.2-- miles... use the fram ultra filter and castrol edge synthetic... done that for the last 130000+ kms. I also do one before and after long road trips(Florida and back, I live in ontario), engine has been just as good as the day I picked her up.
I agree with DonL, I do the FRAM when it on sale at CT, just out of habit but I have had no issues with them.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 AM

arguing about who makes the best oil or oil filter is like arguing about who makes the best car, truck, SUV, or m/c. this makes for fun discussions in the beer garden or around the kitchen table. it never resolves anything scientifically. it never convinces anyone to change their behavior. hopefully it doesn't result in a bar room brawl.
i do enjoy the BITOG.com members who carefully cut open the various oil filters when brand new and at various OCI* so they can photo the internals at 3k, 5k, 7.5k, 10k miles and so on. this is a passionate and controversial subject. it also changes with the improvements in oil and oil filters. pick one that works with your vehicle and how you use it: towing, off roading, hwy, climate conditions. *OCI is oil change interval in your choice of miles or km's. pls state which...
jim in SC

Quick Reply: Oil Filter, Change or Keep