2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Filter, Change or Keep

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 09:32 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default GM's new recommendation on syn OCI!

on 8-18-2018, Sam Memmolo , host of Sam's Garage nat'l syndicated radio show, say's GM just changed their OCI for FULL SYNTHETIC oil from 7,500 miles to 5,000 miles.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:36 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

When the GM oil monitoring system first came out the recommended OCI was based on driving conditions and had a maximum interval of between 10K - 15K miles depending on brand and engine. Apparently at that time, the average intervals were running around 8K miles. Apparently there has been more than one revision where in 2013 for example they added an accelerated countdown for raw mileage regardless of conditions. Did your source from this year state why they further reduced the effective OCI in 2018? Was it based on engine results, service center revenue, ...?

We have a 2012 Malibu with a four banger that has mostly warm climate highway miles and the computer routinely gives intervals of at least 10,000 miles. What have been other experiences with these engine monitoring systems and their OCI? Our other vehicles are daily drivers are older and don’t have these systems.

Thanks,

George

Old 08-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Engineering does not always come in pair with democracy A most voted option may not always be the best one... Get it measured!
Usually, in a marine equipment the crucial filters are supervised by a differential pressure switches/sensors. In case the output filter pressure differs from the input (contaminated filter), the sensor raises the alarm or even change over to another filter set and starts back-washing procedure, You could even make a gauge with "LOP filter contamination"/ "Fuel filter contamination" with these:
Differential Pressure Transducers for Filtration | TE Connectivity
That is why I love engine monitoring systems. All the engine readings at one place, without guessing.
It should not be very difficult to hook up with a differential switch to the lubrication system to get an indication whenever filter truly needs a change. But filters are inexpensive...and too much data will be surely confusing for a common user

Old 08-19-2018, 06:09 AM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
on 8-18-2018, Sam Memmolo , host of Sam's Garage nat'l syndicated radio show, say's GM just changed their OCI for FULL SYNTHETIC oil from 7,500 miles to 5,000 miles.
Yes, but the engines are most likely direct injected and possibly turbo charged.. Both of which are hard on oil.

Ford Ecoboosts are about the same way.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:33 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

georgelg, sam memmolo just made a quick reference in answering a caller's question about oil and OCI in his car. sam didn't go into detail about why GM made the change and how it showed up. i assumed it would be in the owner's manual that most don't read. i didn't even think about the GM oil monitoring system being involved.
dlund: direct gas injection and turbo and superchargers are definitely iwo good reasons---BOTH CAUSE EXCESSIVE HEAT---- for both shorter OCI and use of full synthetic oil. .
the early versions of the ford Ecoboost engines had some serious problems with carbon build up on the intake valves. an aftermarket industry sprang up with a 'CATCH CAN KIT' for ford's ecoboosted engines problems. instead of dumping the PCV oil back into the intake, it sends that oil to a catch can which you had to empty periodically. that recycled PCV oil was the cause of the carbon deposit build up on the intake valves. CAUTION: THIS AFTERMARKET ADD ON MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY. the ford tech host of FORDTECHMAKULOCO.COM says the other maintenance oriented ways to solve the carbon deposit build up on the intake valves is to: 1./ use only Top Tier gasoline, 2./ Use Techron gas additive once every oci, 3./ Use full synthetic oil and most fun--4./ perform an Italian tuneup once a week. the host is both a ford tech and a ford ecoboost owner!
FORD F-150 buyer's may want to consider the 5.0L N.A. V8 engine.....IOW no ecoboost.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Starting Member
RMBlazernut is on a distinguished road

I will keep with my 2000-2500 mile change interventals mine has alot of mileage on it and i do contribute it to how i change my oil. It takes me less than 30 minutes to change oil and filter so why not.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:24 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RMBlazernut
I will keep with my 2000-2500 mile change interventals mine has alot of mileage on it and i do contribute it to how i change my oil. It takes me less than 30 minutes to change oil and filter so why not.
How many miles do you have?

George

Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Starting Member

344,000. When i get home from work i will take a pic of the odometer.

I decided to try before work. Its dark and stormy here so i had to use a flashlight.

My pictures wont insert for some reason.

This coming spring it will get a new create motor.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RMBlazernut
This coming spring it will get a new create motor.
What kind?

Old 08-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Starting Member

A new 4.3. Im going to keep the same size motor.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter, Change or Keep