2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

oil pressure gauge on high end

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 AM
rottenkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil pressure gauge on high end

My oil pressure gauge is stuck on the high pressure. It started doing this for several days. It would work for a while and then stick on the high pressure. I disconnected the wire from the pressure switch. What a time reaching that wire. I ran a ground wire to the switch wire. I turned on the ignition, but I still have no response on the gauge. Does anyone know which wire to test on the instrument cluster. I should be able to ground at the cluster to get the gauge working. That should show if the wire is burnt out going to the pressure switch.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the slow response time. Forum problems at the beginning of the year meant a lot of new posts got missed. I do hope that you have cured your problem by now, if not, see below.

It sounds like your gauge cluster is to blame. Without more specific vehicle information, I cannot comment in much greater detail.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 AM

What specific information is needed to determine id my cluster is to blame?? What do you have to do to remove the pressure switch? Do you have to remove the distributor??

Old 05-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Vehicle information?

A full feature scan tool can read the voltage signal from the oil pressure sending unit. If that is in the proper range, then the cluster is the likely cause. If the PCM is getting a high voltage reading, then the wiring could be the problem.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM

I never did get a scanner to find out my problem. I started having more troubles with the gauges. I next satrted having the tach stopping and then restarting. Then I lost the oddometer and transmission settings. After about half an hour they would start working again, but my oil pressure still didn't work. I finally decided to take the instrument cluster out and check the wires. I made sure I had good contacts first. Then I connected the clust back up and I had everything working, until I went to put the cluster back in place. With the clust back in place, I had the same problems. I removed the cluster again and then reconnected the wiring. Everything worked again. Once I started to move the cluster, I had the problems return. I decided to bolt the instrument cluster in place. I moved the wire assembly toward the firwall and once again everything worked. I guess there is some kind of a short in the instrument cluster. Anyway, I finished and assemble the dash back together. I've been driving it for two weeks without any problems.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Hope it stays that way for you, but I somehow doubt it will. Go over a particularly bad bump and it may go out again. I would inspect the wiring connector on the back of the cluster for bad solder joints.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 AM

I live on gravel roads. Lots of bumps and no problems as of yet. If I do have problems, then I will remove the cluster again. I had the back off of the cluster, but couldn't see anything that I could do to fix the contacts for bad solder joints.