2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Question about compass and temp display on my 98 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member
dravengary is on a distinguished road
Default Question about compass and temp display on my 98 blazer

After a couple searches I still can not figure it out.

I downloaded the manual and followed it but still reads C

Set for my zone 7 and drove in 3 circles nothing tried more circles nothing

Temp shows up fine for about 30 to 40 sec. after I start it than shows dotted line

Should I just get a new one

Any help would be great

Thanks Gary

Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your display is loosing connection somehow along the way.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member
dravengary is on a distinguished road

Yeah maybe it is weird though as soon as it shows the dotted line if I shut the key off and re start the blazer it works fine for another 30 to 40 sec... Got me

Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This corresponds to the time period where the BCM is displaying the temperature taken during the last moving reading (ie truck moving down the road). The BCM will freeze the reading when the truck is not moving.

Here is the description on the ambient temperature display:
The outside temperature is displayed on the electronic display (2). The electronic display is located at the front of the console. Temperature readings may be displayed in either degrees Fahrenheit (°F) or degrees Celsius (°C) . Pushing the US/MET switch (4) that is located on the left side of the display alternates the temperature readings between Fahrenheit and Celsius. If the outside temperature is 3°C (37°F) or lower, the display toggles between the word ICE and the current temperature every eight seconds in order to warn the driver of the possibility of icy road conditions.

The outside temperature is measured from a sensor that is located behind the front grille. In this location, heat from the radiator may warm the sensor above the actual ambient temperature if there is insufficient airflow across the sensor. In order to prevent false temperature displays, the electronic module monitors the vehicle speed. The vehicle speed must meet certain conditions before the module displays a new reading from the sensor. If the vehicle speed is less that 29 km/h (18 mph) , the temperature display is not updated. If the vehicle speed is between 29-58 km/h (18-36 mph) , the temperature display is updated at a slow rate. If the vehicle speed is over 58 km/h (35 mph) for longer than 2 minutes , the sensor will be at the correct ambient temperature. The display then updates continuously in order to reflect the ambient temperature more accurately.

When the vehicle is first started, the electronic module uses an internal timer in order to determine how long the vehicle has been turned off. If the vehicle has been turned off for less than four hours , the sensor may be warmer than the actual ambient because the engine and the radiator may not have cooled down yet. In order to prevent a false temperature from being displayed, the electronic module displays the same temperature as when the vehicle was last turned off. A new sensor reading is not displayed until the vehicle speed meets the above mentioned criteria. If the vehicle has been off for more than 4 hours , the module takes an immediate temperature reading from the sensor and displays that temperature. Further updates then must meet the vehicle speed criteria.
And about the compass:
Compass Heading Is Blank

Excessive magnetism in or near the vehicle may cause the compass display to go blank. In order to distinguish between vehicle magnetics and surrounding magnetics, drive the vehicle to an area that is free from large metal objects. Rest the compass by cycling the ignition (OFF and ON). If the compass display goes blank within 20 seconds after the reset of power, then the vehicle magnetism is too high and the vehicle should be degaussed.

IMPORTANT: Remove the Driver Information Center (DIC) before you degauss the vehicle.

If you install a new compass, use the following procedure in order to calibrate the compass:
1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
2. Depress and hold both the US/MET and the ON/OFF or the MODE buttons for approximately 10 seconds , or until the display reads CAL or C.
3. Drive the vehicle in a complete circle 3 consecutive times. The symbol turns off when the compass is calibrated. The compass will then function normally.