2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear hatch glass shattered!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Beginning Member
rntbuck is on a distinguished road
Default Rear hatch glass shattered!?!

Ive got a 2001 blazer ZR2, and over the weekend my rear hatch shattered. it was open, along with the tailgate, and the shocks gave way and it slammed down and shattered, so now, i am in the process of looking for a replacement. my question is what years will interchange with my 2001 and fit with no problems?? ive seen one on craigslist that had the 3rd brake light on the glass itself, as to where mine is on the truck. does that matter? im going to attempt to buy a used one if i can, so i want to know for sure what switches with what so that i dont buy one that wont work for me. any advice, questions or comments are greatly appreciated.

thanks, and great site!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Starting Member
klote82 is an unknown quantity at this point

98+ all models are the same. id def look in a junk yard for something like that..

Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't grab the glass from a 4dr with the liftgate option.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Just don't grab the glass from a 4dr with the liftgate option.
im guessing you mean one that the entire back lifts open on, vs the one like i have where there is a tailgate, and then the hatch glass....

assuming thats what you mean, im glad you said that, because that might would be an easy mistake to make! (for me anyhow, lol)

Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rntbuck
im guessing you mean one that the entire back lifts open on, vs the one like i have where there is a tailgate, and then the hatch glass....

assuming thats what you mean, im glad you said that, because that might would be an easy mistake to make! (for me anyhow, lol)

correct he means the one that the whole door lifts up

Old 08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, liftgate = whole thing goes up. Tailgate = window up / tailgate down.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Beginning Member

right on. thanks for the help guys.....i will be on the junkyard search! thanks again!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Administrator

One more thing that I seem to remember from old threads on this subject (they do exist) is that the 2dr & 4dr do not share the same back glass regardless of configuration. Since the liftgate was only an option on the 4dr, you really don't have to worry about that aspect, but be sure to closely compare the 2dr vs 4dr tailgate glass. I think you'll find they are different.

It gets difficult remembering every single thread on this forum, but I try! So my original reply in here should have been, "Just don't grab the glass from a 4dr."

*EDIT*
Ok, one MORE thing. I'm not sure if they all came with defrost or not, but I do think that the vast majority of them did as I have not seen one yet that hasn't had it. I see a lot of RPO codes on the Compnine.com part number listing.

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-15-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added defrost check.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Beginning Member
polarbear18w is on a distinguished road

I recently went through a similar search myself, except I was looking for liftgate glass because I have a 1998 4dr Blazer. I was able to find one on craigslist. My glass did not break, the trim around the glass just started to break and the glass looked like it might come out if I opend the hatch and not the whole liftgate. I did notice in my search that there were differences between the 2dr and 4dr glass and then some had the 3rd light attached to the glass piece and my Blazer had it on the roof panel at the back.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Starting Member
wheelhead4x4 is on a distinguished road

Yes the back glass is different from 2door to 4door. Have a friend with a 4door an we put the glass next to each other an they didn't match up.