2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Seat belts. Ugh...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member
michaeljwyo is on a distinguished road
Default Seat belts. Ugh...

Hello folks - I was going to ask about the torx bolt as well but did find a thread on it. My issue is that I went to the junkyard and found a couple of the OEM 6x9 speakers that go in the back of my 2-door blazer. I hated the sound coming out from these stupid aftermarket speakers one of the previous owners had put in. As I went to remove the panel I noticed it will NOT come out without taking off the torx bolt that holds the seat belt bracket in place (the one right above the seat). Didn't have a torx bolt big enough. Got a screwdriver wide enough to catch it but it just won't budge. I may end up trying to flex the panel enough to get in there. Now the OTHER issue. One of the back seat belts' latch is busted. Not the seat belt itself, but the latch that it clicks in to. I can not for the life of me figure out how you are supposed to remove this and replace it. The orange plastic button and the pieces are all busted up and stuff so it is inoperable.....which is really a bummer. I have 2 kids and we will never be able to go anywhere as a family in the Blazer unless I can get this fixed. The seatbelt latch is attached to a metal piece that's about 6 inches long if that....and that piece is part of the seat!! It does swivel a bit....but where it swivels is more like a rivet...a big steel rivet. Unless it's some sort of torx bolt with a cap on it, but I don't think it is. I was wondering if maybe there is some sort of a trick....maybe if you slip a thin piece of metal in from the bottom of the plastic housing it will let the lock assembly slide off of there....or something like that. I really don't want to have to replace the whole seat just to fix this stupid thing. If the seat belt was malfunctioning, how would the dealership do it? What's the removal procedure they would do? Would THEY say there's nothing you can do but replace the whole seat??

thanks for any insight

Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

unless a 2 door is MUCH different.....
the seat belts are SEPERATE from the seats, BUT the are both held down by the same torx bolt in the center of the folding portion. The seat belts stack and the bottom portion acts as a base plate for the other components. The plastic cover can be squeezed slightly to loosen the seal, then lift the trunk side back toward the dash and it will pop off. The you will have to strip an aluminum washer that slides over the thread and acts as the attaching point for the cover.
Its fairly simple to work with, HOWEVER you may have to pull the rear bolt on the outside of which ever side you go trough (driver or passenger) but leave the front bolt as a pivot point. Fold it forward slightly in oder to gain access to the assembly where the seatbelts hide, and got to town.
Try it at the salvage yard that way if you get frustrated you can tak eit out on someone else's ride....
Also, I want to say it's a #45 torx head, but I could be wrong. I can check in 6 hours when i get home if you need

Last edited by ABN31B; 11-06-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

Seat bolts are #47 Torx although you might be able to use a #50.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member

I dunno guys, I've been looking online for a picture from a '95 2-door so I could show you. I think they ARE different. The seat belt latch is definitely attached to the hinge that the seat "folds" on. They're not stacked and bolted to the floor. Not on mine anyway. And there's no head for a torx screw on the end of the hinge. What I have....picture an L. Right the bottom of the L where the two lines connect, that is where this metal bracket (the bracket on which the actual seatbelt lock is attached to the end of) is attached with what looks to be some sort of steel rivot or something. The steel rivot connects the two legs of the "L" together and makes the hinge that connects the two parts of the seat so it can fold in half. I only wish it WERE that easy. In most vehicles you are right...the seat belt latches are just bolted right to the floor. Not in this one. Looks like they did it this way so when you fold the seats down, the seat belt latch folds down with it and tucks itself in between the seats.
I can get my digital camera and try to snap some pictures so you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member

Pictures of the rear seat belts....you'll see what I mean.
Seat belts.  Ugh...-dscf0041.jpg

Seat belts.  Ugh...-dscf0042.jpg

Seat belts.  Ugh...-dscf0043.jpg

Old 11-07-2009, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran

ouch. damn those ARE different... if you undoos the seat mounting bolts, can you get to what connects the seat belt female ends? are the riveted in? pressed? bolted? I would say, if you do not want to go to a junkyard and pony up $60 for new rear seat (complete) you could always pop the seat belt where it mounts.

You could drill out what ever is connecting it, and drill out a new one, then grade 8 it the new one on. if they are good enough to attach a tow hitch,, they should be good enough to attach a todler

I just ratchet strap my kids in and then tie their ankles with bailing twine so they cant squirm free. probably not the best dad to give seat belting advice

Old 11-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Beginning Member

Hehe! As much as we joke about stuff like that I think I ought to really try to fix it. That's why I was hoping that there is some sort of secret to getting the female piece to pop off so that a new one could be popped on. Was hoping someone has a service manual or something that talks about seatbelt latch removal. I may have to bug my buddy down at the GMC dealership about it. He let me borrow one before. They really ARE attached to the seat. I can't imagine trying to "drill out" the spot where the metal piece pivots. I think the seat wouldn't fold down together properly if I did. Not to mention how the heck I would get one off of another vehicle at the junk yard. The "Pick and Pull" that I go to doesn't even allow drills. And honestly if you look at the pictures...you just can't "get at it" to drill it. The flat part of the "rivot" is facing the inside of the seat...not the outside. I am wondering if POSSIBLY (again if you look at the picture)...the side of the metal mount that faces the outside (the middle between the two seats) has that thing on it that looks kind of like a gear....maybe that thing is made of plastic and pops off and there is a nut underneath it. Maybe that "gear" piece itself can be grabbed and loosened. Again that's why I was hoping someone maybe had a service manual they could look it up in. I might look at it again and see if that piece moves or pops off.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 AM
BF Veteran

You'd probably be better off just tearing the the female portion open, replacing the guts (thanks pick-and-pull!) and putting them back together. Hell they are broken anyway just wedge a pry bar in and slowly pop it open. once you have a broken one open, you should be able to see what needs to be done to get it open correctly... then rob guts and fix yours FTW!

Old 11-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Beginning Member

That's an idea. I was already doing that last time I was at pick n pull. Didn't want to split apart and I didn't want to break it but I should have. I think you're right..that'll be easier to do that trying to get the bracket off of the seat. Man I can see it already..... CRACKKKKK......ZING!! Parts and springs flying everywhere! :-)
Actually with the red piece broken on mine....the housing will actually slide downward on the metal shaft. So there is apparently something on the metal shaft that can maybe be pulled off that will allow the whole housing to come forward. But that's after most of the pieces are out of there. As you can see in the pics....some of the pieces are lying right there because I couldn't get them back in there right. Even with the button being broken - if the seatbelt would still click in there and latch, I could get by. Might be tricky to release it. However that wasn't the case. It wouldn't latch at all. Just slide in and out so I have a feeling there were already pieces missing or something.