2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

service engine soon????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 AM
stunner4206 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy service engine soon????

i have had my 00 blazer since 00. i bought it brand new only 4 miles.now its roughly at 130k and the service engine soon light went on for the very first time... i was thinking of giving it a full tune plugs,wires,oil change,air filter,fuel filter..was wondering if anyone else has had this light go on at roughly the same mileage and if so what was the problem??..am i just gonna blow at least 100$ on the tune up? or should i look into something else??? my blazer does have a k&N intake kit but i doubt it is that cause it has had it for years.oh yeah i also checked the gas cap and no luck.. the car runs fine just a little worried about the light.. any help would be appreciated thanks...

Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member
ClarusWorks is on a distinguished road

The best thing to do would be to get the trouble code read. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. Get the codes read, then post back here with what error codes are showing up. Doing a tune-up certainly won't hurt anything, but if the car's running fine that's probably not the reason the SES light is on.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

If the truck is still running like normal, and the oil pressure, engine temp, etc are all in check then I wouldn't be too worried. Just make sure, like Clarus said, to get it to an auto parts store and have them check the codes.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

Yea, don't over react by replacing parts when you don't even know why the SES light is on. Have the code read then diagnose accordingly. I believe all of the codes, along with diagnosing the codes are posted in the DIY tech article section of the forum.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1998MSO
Yea, don't over react by replacing parts when you don't even know why the SES light is on. Have the code read then diagnose accordingly. I believe all of the codes, along with diagnosing the codes are posted in the DIY tech article section of the forum.
ok so i went to my local pepboys and they scanned it for free and code p0442 came out i did a quick google search for that code and i heard maybe the gas cap so i looked at my gas cap and the gasket is kind of shot so i purchased a new one installed it and the light is still on.. any ideas on how to turn it off..i already disconnected the battery and no luck... thanks for the replys it was very helpful...

Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Head back to the Pep Boys that gave you the code and have them clear it with their scan tool. Then, start it back up and see if the light comes back on. If it does, then check this thread out, it'll give you an idea of what to look for https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs-49/p0442-explained-35144/

Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

FYI....The SES light does not go away immediately after making a change, it typically takes numerous start/stops to make the ses light go away IF the problem has been resolved. (You need to search to see how the system works).
I assume you performed the diagnostic check listed on this forum for that code? Why did you do a google of the code when the entire diagnostic of that code is here on this forum?
If not, perform the diagnostic on this forum then have the SES light cleared by a diagnostic tool, (disconnecting the battery does not clear the code) or wait for a while to see i it goes away.

Last edited by 1998MSO; 01-16-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 1998MSO
Why did you do a google of the code when the entire diagnostic of that code is here on this forum?
If not, perform the diagnostic on this forum then have the SES light cleared by a diagnostic tool, (disconnecting the battery does not clear the code) or wait for a while to see i it goes away.
@1998MSO I often just jump online myself and type "poXXX 98 blazer" in Google rather than clicking to here, logging on, scrolling down, finding the right thread, scrolling through the obdII codes..etc... it's convenience over loyalty (sorry guys, lol)

I agree with the others, I'd have the code wiped by a parts store. If it comes right back return here and do the diagnostic. Unplugging the negative terminal for 15 min will reset the computer, but it will keep that code stored. I had a similar P0442 and another related code (forget which off hand). I replaced the gas cap and ran QUALITY fuel system cleaner through it. Haven't seen those codes since. I also spent 55$ and got my own basic OBDII scanner/eraser. Quite handy.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 PM

[quote=1998MSO;398224]FYI....The SES light does not go away immediately after making a change, it typically takes numerous start/stops to make the ses light go away IF the problem has been resolved. (You need to search to see how the system works).
I assume you performed the diagnostic check listed on this forum for that code? Why did you do a google of the code when the entire diagnostic of that code is here on this forum?
If not, perform the diagnostic on this forum then have the SES light cleared by a diagnostic tool, (disconnecting the battery does not clear the code) or wait for a while to see i it goes away.[/qu
so i got the code erased with my friends scanner and the light has not came on yet.. about the google search i was at pepboys and did a quick google thru my phone i had no computer on hand to find out on this forum what the code meant.. i hope the gas cap was the problem and not anything else.. this forum is very helpful.. if not for you guys i would of done the complete tune up and the light would still be on. the gas cap was only 9.99..but i will do the tune up soon anyways.. thanks guys

Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 PM
hellblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stunner4206
i have had my 00 blazer since 00. i bought it brand new only 4 miles.now its roughly at 130k and the service engine soon light went on for the very first time... i was thinking of giving it a full tune plugs,wires,oil change,air filter,fuel filter..was wondering if anyone else has had this light go on at roughly the same mileage and if so what was the problem??..am i just gonna blow at least 100$ on the tune up? or should i look into something else??? my blazer does have a k&N intake kit but i doubt it is that cause it has had it for years.oh yeah i also checked the gas cap and no luck.. the car runs fine just a little worried about the light.. any help would be appreciated thanks...
i had the same thing too on my 99.there was an issue with the harness on fuel pump.and i didnt know that until iwen to advanced auto parts.they told me that the harness was a recall and my pump had gone out twice.so went back and got another pump with new harness,and it worked. did it myself just match wires with the old ones.

Quick Reply: service engine soon????