2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What to do about siezed up rear calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:14 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road
Default What to do about siezed up rear calipers?

Ok so over the past week I had a rear caliper sieze up on each of my Blazers. Luckily(?) it happened to be on opposite sides so all I had to do was swap out and have my dd back on the road.
But now I'm not sure what to do about the bad set. Do I:
A) Rebuild them ($)
B)Go pull a set from the boneyard($$)
or
C) Buy new/reman. ($$$)
Bear in mind I have never rebuilt a brake caliper before.
I can afford any of these options but like to save whenever possible.
What would you do and why?
Thanks!!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:56 AM
Starting Member
perumotors1369 is on a distinguished road

junkyard...not 100% sure if any better than yours, of course, unless they look and are brand new. Not my choice.
rebuild..I wouldn't
parts store and get a re-manned caliper or new-whichever your store has to offer and depending on price. I wouldn't shy away from either new or re-man although someone may prefer one or the other. I myself would by a known brand name, whichever was less. It's nice in some cases to get the bracket as well then your preparation time is reduced.
good luck-Jerry

Old 11-09-2018, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

We used to get seal kits and rebuild them all the time when I was a kid but the last couple of times I tried this they would seize up. Idk if it’s the seal rubber, pistons or what. Now I just get remans with LLT warranty and get back on the road. These are so readily available and cost effective. If we were talking some high end sports car specialty equipment then that would be different.

George

Old 11-10-2018, 12:11 AM

Well since rebuilding seems dicey at best, and you really don't know what you're getting at the boneyard until you go through the trouble of installing and actually using it, I'm going to buy either new or reman units. But man, there are so many choices. Looks like at least $100 minimum, which isn't bad.
Now to figure out where to buy from and what brand. Research time. Thanks!!

Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 AM

Ordered reman units with ceramic pads included for $104 with free shipping on Ebay. Best deal I could find.
Also ordered ceramic front pads from rockauto for just under $20, including shipping.

Last edited by GreenBlazer2002; 11-10-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:40 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I use Wagner thermoquiet pads on everything unless it high performance. Great pads.

George

Old 11-10-2018, 04:07 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I am on rebuilt calipers on BBP parts for over a year now. No issues, work as expected.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good call on the remans. While you're replacing things, I would recommend new caliper brackets for the rear as well. They are fairly cheap insurance as to not burning up your pads again due to a sticking slider pin(s). The caliper brackets on the rear of these trucks like to cease up regardless of how well you get them cleaned up and lubricated during a rebuild.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Good call on the remans. While you're replacing things, I would recommend new caliper brackets for the rear as well. They are fairly cheap insurance as to not burning up your pads again due to a sticking slider pin(s). The caliper brackets on the rear of these trucks like to cease up regardless of how well you get them cleaned up and lubricated during a rebuild.
Just checked and the kit comes with new brackets. So much the better 😁👍.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:26 PM

The caliper I swapped onto my 02 from my 01 is leaking now. It wasn't leaking before I swapped it so I know it's something I messed up. I bolted it up just like it was. Where did I go wrong?

Quick Reply: What to do about siezed up rear calipers?