2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What is idler arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Tire dealers misdiagnose steering & suspension problems every day, multiple times a day. I just had to convince a friend of mine that his 2012 Taurus did not need new tie rod ends after his tire dealer said they could not do a free alignment check until they were changed. They stated that because the tie rod could rotate by hand, it was bad. I grabbed it while he moved the steering from side to side slightly and there was no perceivable play in either side. Just because a tie rod can be rotated within its range of motion by hand doesn't mean that it is bad, but tire dealers use this scam to get repair business.

If you do not have someone you trust that is a competent mechanic, ask your friends and/or family for suggestions so you don't get raked over the coals replacing things that may not be worn out.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks swartlkk, I done some online research about this subject. Interesting enough at one site, they said that play in the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock could indicate a bad pitman arm(I assume the idler arm on passenger side) or a bad tie rod end. If they diagnose a bad idler arm using that method, it could of been misdiagnosed. Today I tried to move my idler arm up and down through the little space I could get my hand into and it appeared solid, no play. I saw according to GM that you should pull 25 Ib to see if it moves an 1/4 inch. If it does its bad. It seems if you were to check if you have a bad idler arm, you would need to remove your under cover, which I doubt tire place did. What would be the way to check to see if your idler arm is bad or not?

Last edited by kmartin; 10-02-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Starting Member

Well, after doing some web searches I have did the diagnoses myself. Yes, indeed the idler arm is bad. LannyL81, I don't know why you claim the tie rod ends give out first but it didn't happen with my vehicle. There were no play in the tie rod ends. Do you think they will soon wear out?

Old 10-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

The entire steering on these trucks is a joke. They WILL go out one day, I'm having to replace ALL my steering on the truck at 200k or so.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Starting Member
01xtreme_chevy is on a distinguished road

Summit Racing sale a rack & pinion conversion kits for 2000-2005 Chevy Blazers. Didn't look to see if it was for 4wd. I think it was for 2wd. But its about $1,000 shipping is free.

Last edited by 01xtreme_chevy; 10-04-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Starting Member

Not that I buy for off-roading, but isn't it interesting that these truck advertising always pose there trucks in some fairly extreme off roading, but don't put parts that will last a long time in those conditions. Well, I won't be getting a conversion kit. I hope to get rid of the blazer before I need to replace the whole steering system. Does it not seem these smaller trucks have there parts wear out sooner?

Old 10-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

It is just the design of the steering on them.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:06 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Probably normal life if everyone didnt crank the **** out of the tbars

Old 10-05-2014, 06:56 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kmartin
Well, after doing some web searches I have did the diagnoses myself. Yes, indeed the idler arm is bad. LannyL81, I don't know why you claim the tie rod ends give out first but it didn't happen with my vehicle. There were no play in the tie rod ends. Do you think they will soon wear out?
kmartin: why I think the outer tie rods ends wear-out before the idler arm is because each outer tie rod end is in a harsher environment than the idler arm. If the idler arm is worn-out, then to me the pitman arm would be worn-out as well.

Not saying that idler arms do not wear-out...you have determined that yours is; and perhaps I am just wrong in my thinking....not like it is the first time!...LOL.....

I think it is wonderful that you took the time to research and do your own diagnostic, kudos to you! Hopefully just the worn parts get replaced and you are back on the road again.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LannyL81
kmartin: why I think the outer tie rods ends wear-out before the idler arm is because each outer tie rod end is in a harsher environment than the idler arm. If the idler arm is worn-out, then to me the pitman arm would be worn-out as well.

Not saying that idler arms do not wear-out...you have determined that yours is; and perhaps I am just wrong in my thinking....not like it is the first time!...LOL.....

I think it is wonderful that you took the time to research and do your own diagnostic, kudos to you! Hopefully just the worn parts get replaced and you are back on the road again.
The joint that is next to the frame is the one that had play. The connection to the center link was fine. My guess is the reason for that is because that the service guys probably skip lubing that with that undercover in the way. (a bad GM design making it inaccessible) so being that the pitman arm is fine.

Quick Reply: What is idler arm