2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wiper pulse board repair (alternate)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough
Default Wiper pulse board repair (alternate)

I know there is another thread about the broken pulse board solders. I was having a similar issue. My wipers worked fine in either low or high speed, traveling all the way up and down the windshield, but would not park. This was very frustrating, especially when using the delay feature. They would stop about half to two thirds of the way down the windshield:

So, after reviewing the excellent thread by swartlkk:https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...r-motor-36236/ I decided to attempt it myself.

As shown in his thread, here is the wiper motor/pulse board:

There are three T20 torx screws, I used this to remove them:

Be careful to not lose them, there are some hoses and wire bundles kinda in the way.

After removing the cover, here is what you will see:

To remove the pulse board, unplug the large connector and slide the board down from the motor housing.

After checking for broken solders, and not seeing any, I noticed that these two contacts were pushed down, toward the board:

This picture was taken after I straightened them. The left was much lower than the right. I simply bent them "up" so that they would make better contact.

I put everything back together, plugged in the connector, and now the wipers work flawlessly! They park all the way at the bottom of the windshield like they should!

Hope this helps somebody out there!

Old 09-15-2012, 07:24 PM
spittybays

Thanks, nice write up. Actually I am doing this tomorrow (Sun.) Neat little T-20 wrench, do you remember were you got it? When I looked at the plate that's over the board I figured to take the top 2 out and leave the lower third just backed out but still in and swing it down. With the six inch T-20 driver that I have that one looks like a bit of a bitch to get back in.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:34 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spittybays
Thanks, nice write up. Actually I am doing this tomorrow (Sun.) Neat little T-20 wrench, do you remember were you got it? When I looked at the plate that's over the board I figured to take the top 2 out and leave the lower third just backed out but still in and swing it down. With the six inch T-20 driver that I have that one looks like a bit of a bitch to get back in.

Thanks! The wrench came as a kit from Autozone for about $15. It came with 9 sizes ranging from T50 down to T10. I bought it for the two sizes to remove a tire carrier at a junk yard to put on my 4dr. I hated spending that much for something I thought I wouldn't use again, but it has come in very handy so far! Definitely a good addition to my toolbox.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I wish you would of posted this before I bought a new board. But thanks for the great write up. I will use it next time.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i have ran into this problem a few times with customer vehicles. we just replace the board though cause when we examine the board, there is no visible breakage. my 90 fullsize did this crap too but its a different style. i ended up just wedging a bolt behind the motor and firewall to bend the motor out and its been find for the last 2 years like that lol

Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Beginning Member
myke8000 is on a distinguished road
Default My wipers will not work. Please help!

My wipers will not work. Please help!

Cause of problem:
The wipers were frozen to the window in my 2005 Jimmy. They were turned on and did not work. They were not severely covered in snow or frozen, so I was surprised they did not move.

The only way to get the wipers to work currently. Is turn the wipers on high and pull the power connector to the pulse board half way out and move until a connection moves the wipers. (jiggle the removed power connector)

While testing, I had them work for 30 seconds or so, and was able to go in the vehicle. The wipers only work on the high setting, they are on max or off.

To try and solve this, I took out the pulse board soldered it twice, it still worked. Then I bought a new board, which acts exactly the same as the first one. No change or improvement. The new one is still in now.

Note:
2 or 3 years ago I added cruise control, the vehicle did not come with it. But that has worked great for the last few years. I thought the used junk yard arm may have been a problem now.

Next I got a new turn signal control arm. The 4way flasher button was stuck on the old one, so it was worth it to replace it anyways. This changed nothing and the problem is still the same, with the new turn signal arm installed.

I did not see a fuse listed in the fuse box for front wipers, just rear, did I miss something there?

What do you suggest I do or test next. Is the high setting only a separate problem? Thank you for any help!

Last edited by myke8000; 11-12-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:51 AM
Beginning Member
Stretch is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem, I pulled the CB and checked the soldered connections with a mag. glass and they looked ok... Then I used a jewelers loop, and found 3 bad solder points.....So make sure to look closely.....