2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Yet another front end question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road
Default Yet another front end question.

Ok I spent the better part of the night reading the forums on front ends and tie rods. Heres what I am wondering....

Does anybody have pics of healthy and worn out tire rods form a 95-97 jimmy blazer? To me mine look wierd but I was a ford man for a little bit...lol

Thanx
Beef

Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Starting Member
Schrade is on a distinguished road

Did you check the hood hinge bushings?

See youtube blazer clunk vid.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

youtube would be a good place to look for a video on the subject. Its quite easy though, new tie rods have no play in the ball part of the joint, nor movement up and down on the bolt part... Worn ones move a little in either direction... Very worn ones the ball part pops out of the cup part with the grease zerk on it and you are in big trouble. You should be able to jack a tire up off the ground, then lay down under the front of the truck and force your tire to the left and right with your hands while you look at the tie rod and steering components for movement in the joints.

You really own a Delorean, thats awesome!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:41 PM

Its not really the joint or actual tie rod, its where it connects to the rods comming of the stearing arms, that joint there looks to me like the rod is bent back and in a wierd way, it is also full and I mean full of grease at that point. The thing is, it is that way on both sides. Just thought I would clear up on a pic, but cant find one, I am headed to youtube now though, Thanks....I didnt even think to look there.

Yup, have a Delorean. I love it but may sell it soon. Wifey says too many toys. lol

Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I could show you a picture of a trashed tie rod end and a picture of a healthy tie rod end. In most cases, they would both 'look' identical so pictures really are not going to help in this case.

These joints need to be solid with no noticeable movement in the joint itself. They should rotate and pivot, but you should not be able to feel play.

Are you asking just because your tierods look weird or do you have a problem that you are trying to diagnose?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Well I have noticed, a little play and sometimes a "big tire" sound. I have read all the post on the wheel bearing. I jacked it up today and there is no play where you said to look. I also did the ball joint test and they are fine. It just seems loose to me, you know when you feel almost like there is something wrong, but you are not sure.

Sometimes I swear I can feel it miss a turn when I am turning, almost like the gear skips.

Now I have brand new tires on it, so that could be some of the humming, and my steering wheel is a little off, could it just be an alignment deal? Or maybe shocks?

What do you think... I know hard to do with out being here..lol

Thanx
Beef