2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

"Excessive ripple" re alternator...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Beginning Member
Inferno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Excessive ripple" re alternator...

Okay, first off, thanks for having such a wonderful on-line resource for all the Chevy owners out there... it sure helps!

Now, my baby is a 2000 4-door Blazer in 4WD. The issue I have is that lately she has been having a hard time starting-- not all the time, but yesterday morning it took a few turns of the engine before she got started, then that afternoon nothing came on at all when I stuck the key in; no starter click, and no electrical power. Didn't make a sound. Waited I few minutes, jiggled the battery cable a bit (in case the connection was loose), tried starting again. This time she took a few turns, but started up and I was outta there. Drove to Checker's, and had them test the battery in the lot... apparently the battery was fine, the alternator was charging the battery fine, but there was an error message that said "EXCESSIVE RIPPLE". The guy stated that it was an issue with the voltage regulator inside the alternator, and they'd have to test the alternator to be sure. I didn't have time to take it out there, but I bought a new alternator and headed home. Before I mess with anything, I'd like to hear your input!

Other issues regarding the alternator (I think): Lights inside & out will dim if the power windows/locks are used, and I'm getting this high-pitched hum or whine over the speakers that increases when I accelerate... any connection?

Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: "Excessive ripple" re alternator...

Voltage regulator sounds like a reasonable explanation. I've seen stranger symptoms from a crazy regulator - overchage for a while, no charge for a while. The new alternator should fix it.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

If you really want to replace the alternator, it's only a 20-minute job.

However, for a LOT less money you could pull the alternator, take it to a local electrical repair shop and have them either just replace the voltage regulator or do a complete rebuild. If you can leave it parked for a couple of days, option #2 is less expensive.

Seems like everybody forgets that alternators and starters can usually be rebuilt locally rather than being replaced.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:53 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: pilgrim

If you really want to replace the alternator, it's only a 20-minute job.

However, for a LOT less money you could pull the alternator, take it to a local electrical repair shop and have them either just replace the voltage regulator or do a complete rebuild. If you can leave it parked for a couple of days, option #2 is less expensive.

Seems like everybody forgets that alternators and starters can usually be rebuilt locally rather than being replaced.
Agreed. Rebuild is a good option but since he already bought one, may as well put it on.

Unless they required the core at the parts place, I would keep the old one as a buildable backup.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help guys! Keeping the old one to rebuild sounds like a great idea... my baby has over 100K miles on her, and this is the only major problem so far, aside from a rear door speaker not working, intermittent driver-side window motor, and the door hinge bushings-- which have been replaced, thanks to help I found here! Might as well change the belt while I'm at it...

Old 03-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, I replaced the alt the same day I originally posted, and all the problems were resolved! I just wanted to give it a week before posting anything, thanks for everyone's help!