2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

02 blazer, opened the door horn starts honking

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Beginning Member
tim68 is on a distinguished road
Default 02 blazer, opened the door horn starts honking

I bought this blazer about a month ago. Ever since theres a security light on the dash that will come on when I open the door then goes out when the dome light goes out. Last night it was very cold so I locked the doors from inside and unlocked one door by hand so I could get in (it has electric locks) and this morning I opened the door and the horn starts to honk. Does it supposed to have a remote key fob to unlock the doors, or could it be something else, how would I find out if its suppose to have one

Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

Do you have an aftermarket remote starter by chance?

This is part of the built in alarm/security.
How it works is, if you lock the doors with the door button or with the stock key fob it sets the alarm. If you unlock the doors with the key in the door or the stock key fob it disarms the alarm. If you reach through the window and unlock the doors with the interior button it should set off the alarm.

I have an aftemarket remote starter, its a bit tricky but this is how mine will work.

To arm the alarm:
I must either lock the doors with the door button, or lock the doors with the remote WITH the doors open, if i lock the doors with the remote with the doors closed it does not set the alarm

To disarm the alarm:
I MUST use the key to unlock the door.
If the alarm is set and i unlock it with the button on my command start it will set off the alarm.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Beginning Member

theres not a remote starter, Where could I find a key fob for the factory alarm or do I need one.

Last edited by tim68; 02-02-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 PM

Factory alarm works with the factory key fobs.
It looks similar to this

If you have one of these it SHOULD work with the alarm.
Easiest way to test it is to leave your window rolled down, doors closed, lock the doors with the remote, then try to open the door from the inside. the alarm should go off (horn honks), to turn the alarm off you need to put the key in the door and unlock (drivers side turn clockwise)

If you do not have any remote entry then just opening the door with the key should work.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Beginning Member

Ill check that if I have a alarm where can I find a key fob

Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 AM

You can probably find some by googling them and searching for them online. First if you do not have one you will need to see if your blazer has the RKE option, in the thread below it will tell you how to determine this. If its the stock key fob similar to above that you are looking for that is, it will need to be coded to the vehicle, unfortunately i cant be of much help to you there on how to do that, or how easy that is. Someone else here might be of better help as to how to do that.
Read up on this thread, it might be of some help
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ht=program+fob
Aftermarket fobs such as a command start dont work to well with the factory alarm, like the expeirience i have with mine.

If the blazer came with an owners manual check in there for the security features, it will tell you about the blinking security light on the dash.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Beginning Member

Ill go check that out , Thanks for the info