2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

02' ZR2 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member
vernzr2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 02' ZR2 won't start

I'm brand new to this forum so please bare with me. I have a 02' ZR2. Up until the past week I have never had a problem with it. I went to start it and the engine kept cranking but would not start. The following day I kept cranking on her and she fired up. Two days later she wouldn't start again and hasn't started since. I replaced the fuel filter and it was plugged pretty solid. Now I get plenty of fuel and great spark. I also thought maybe bad gas, put dry gas in and still nothing. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Happy Turkey day.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 02' ZR2 won't start

Have you verified that you have the required 55-60psi of fuel pressure at the fuel pressure test port on the engine? A plugged filter can overwork and kill a pump.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member

I haven't put any kind of gauge on it because I thought if the pump were bad it would not have run for a couple days like brand new. I thought once a pump was going it wouldn't run good then bad etc.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Checking the fuel pressure is a simple way to determine if fuel is the cause of your problem. It very well could be something else, but the basic checks still should be done.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Beginning Member

I'm not sure what I need to perform the pressure test. I know where the valve is though. When I crank on her, I hear a thumping, sounds like coming from engine. After I try to start it, smells like engine flooding. When I got it to start I had to put very little pressure on gas pedal. There is also a black box on the top of the motor that is making a whining noise now. Not sure what the box is, has pins in the bottom half, it's electrical.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Beginning Member

Fuel pressure is right on 60. Any other ideas

Thanks in advance

Old 11-23-2007, 03:45 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Check your cap and rotor unless you verified good spark at all six plugs.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Beginning Member

Took cap off earlier today, everything looked good. No visible cracks,no scorch marks or carbon build up.Rotor looks ok as well. I'm at a total loss!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:12 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

you need three things, air, fuel, and spark.
air is prety easy to verify, check the air filter.
fuel, 60psi is good, however spray some either into the intake and see if she fires up for a few seconds. if so, fuel delivery problem.
if those pass, you left with spark, ignition. you may be getting spark, however is it at the right time? get your ICM tested, replenish the grease behind it.

one other thing, check your oil level.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member
DukMan is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: vernzr2

I'm brand new to this forum so please bare with me. I have a 02' ZR2. Up until the past week I have never had a problem with it. I went to start it and the engine kept cranking but would not start. The following day I kept cranking on her and she fired up. Two days later she wouldn't start again and hasn't started since. I replaced the fuel filter and it was plugged pretty solid. Now I get plenty of fuel and great spark. I also thought maybe bad gas, put dry gas in and still nothing. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Happy Turkey day.

I am having this exact problem with my '01 ZR2. I've been beating my head against the wall for two weeks now trying to figure it out.

Quick Reply: 02' ZR2 won't start