2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

03 blaze ls won't start/running rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 AM
TarHeel0 is on a distinguished road
Default 03 blaze ls won't start/running rough

First, I didn't even know where to start searching to avoid having to post.

The problem with my blazer started about 3 weeks ago. I went out one day and it just wouldn't start. I hear the fuel pump come on and cut off after a few seconds and it's turning over fine. It just wouldn't start.

Well next morning after a few tries it started up but hesitantly and not sure if it helped or not but I slammed the gas once it caught to keep it going.

I take off and the check engine ligh has came on and its running terribly. Barely any power. After about 10 miles it would return to normal and I would have full power and the check engine light would go off.

If I kept it started and ran about every 12 hours it would have no problem starting up but would run rough for about those 10 miles and then back to normal.

If I took a long trip over a hour away it would run fine for the next couple of days. But then after making my 1 mile commute back and forth to work it would return to running rough.

I went out of town for Christmas and no matter what I do it just will not start now.

It has gas and it's never been ran out as long as I've had it.

I'm just trying to get some idea of what it might be so I can avoid (possibly)taking it to a mechanic and having to pay towing fees and all that.

If I can answer any questions to help out I surely will.

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

About how many miles since the last tune up using AC Delco spark plugs, distributor cap, and spark plug wires?

What other work has been done recently?

Retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes, (DTC's) and post them in the order they were retrieved.

Follow the steps in this thread, and post all 4 fuel pressure readings: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

Pull the coil wire out of the distributor cap. Stick a small screwdriver in the end of the wire. Prop it up so there's about a half inch gap between the screwdriver and engine ground. Crank the engine and watch for a blue, not orange, rythmic spark to ground at the screwdriver shaft. Post the results.

Your results from these 3 things will tell us where to look next.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

As Captain says....engine needs fuel and spark to run....one of those is not working correctly and the steps above will determine which.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:45 PM
TarHeel0 is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the advice, after everything you said captain, I figured it was over my head getting codes and stuff like you recommended.

So, I talked to a mechanic, and he recommended me change the distributor cap and rotor, which altogether was like $50. Started right up and has been doing fine for the last hour.

After I pulled it and the rotor off, they both were completely fried. I've only had it a year, and the previous owner said it just had a tuneup, and the difficulty changing plugs in the blazer, so I took him at his word. Never again, just regular maintenance would of never left me stranded.

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member
Capt. Craig is on a distinguished road

Just went through the same thing. AC Delco cap and rotor was the cure.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, pretty common problem. These things are real fussy with the cap & rotor. If you don't use AC Delco, you'll be right back in there in 6 months doing it again. AC Delco's go 100K miles no problem. Glad you got it, thanks for posting back.