2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

04 Blazer starting issue.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Tweeter83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 04 Blazer starting issue.....

I've lost count at how many similar posts I've read on here regarding starting issues. Lemme throw this scenario at you. My Blazer has been running fine, no problems starting or draining batts etc. I had been driving my blazer around town all day, operating normally, decided to do some shopping, stopped for about 20 minutes at a local Fred Meyer came back out, used my key FOB to unlock the doors as I walked up, put my purchase in the back and then climbed in and tried to crank it up. NOTHING! Not so much as even a click from the starter, the only power I had was when I had unlocked the doors and opened the back hatch, I didn't really pay attention to the dome lights since it was still broad daylight out. I pulled my key out and tried again, still nothing, turned it back to the ACC position to see if my stereo would come on, the time flashes up on the display, but only for a second or two before shutting back off again. So I called my buddy to come give me a jump while I checked things out under the hood. I didn't see any blown fuses, checked my batt cables, and everything looked good. Once my buddy showed up we jumped it and it started right up, however after pulling the cables back off I noticed my volt meter on the dash was a little below the norm, drove it for the 30 minute trip home will all the electronics turned off hoping for a charge for the batt, got home and shut it off, tried to recrank it to see how much juice made it back into the batt and presto.... NOTHING again! Flipped it back to ACC mode and didn't have enough juice to put my driver side window halfway up. I've got it on a trickle charger now, I suspect maybe the alt fried itself somehow but I'm still not sure. Like I said I haven't had any issues lately, it always starts right up and the batt is almost a year old. So what would cause the batt to completely drain in 20 minutes? Any ideas? Similar issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 04 Blazer starting issue.....

How old is the battery? I had a very similar situation with my old Bravada. The problem was corrosion behind the positive terminal on the battery, actually inside the battery. It was not until I removed the positive cable, subsequently twisting the positive post out of the front of the battery, that I realized what had happened.

Since you made it all the way home, I highly doubt that it is the alternator. I'd get the battery checked first and foremost.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:34 PM

I mentioned that in my post, but upon looking for my receipts it was just over a year ago. It's an Energizer brand 800 CCA batt. it's late here now and frankly I'm tired of pondering over this issue in the dark. I'm going to try to get it in to an Autozone or something first thing tomorrow to get both the batt and alt checked out. I hope this is a simple issue of the batt being crappy like you said. I'll post back when I find out more info. Thanks so far!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yeah, I missed that. My eyes glazed over from the huge run-on paragraph.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:47 PM

Yeah well, when you get as frustrated about something like this as I did, you stop caring about proper punctuation and grammar. Even after leaving it on the charger all night I tried this morning and NOTHING. Anyway, I got it in to AutoZone this morning and they ran tests on both the battery and alternator. Battery was shot, alt was still good. I swapped out the shot Energizer batt with a Duralast Gold and it started like a champ. I guess Energizer should stick with household batteries. Funny side effect of swapping out my battery though, when I got ready to leave AutoZone I noticed my speedometer was pegged at 100mph. I started and killed my motor a couple of times thinking that it would reset, but no luck. After running a couple miles down the road with it still pegged it finally reset itself. Any ideas about this one? All the other gauges seemed to be working fine, just the speedometer was pegged. Weird.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Maybe it just got stuck... No idea beyond that. Weird things happen when battery power is lost.

About the whole punctuation and grammar thing... You really should try to take the time to write it out proper. Many people see your impatience and just pass on even trying to read through it. Proper punctuation and grammar go a long way towards getting the help you need. It really takes no additional time to split things up so it is much easier to read.