2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

100-130 miles to a TANK!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:11 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 100-130 miles to a TANK!

I agree with Kyle take it back to Autozone and make sure that they give you the correct pump for your engine and year...and have them show you the part number in their catalogue. Also before you go in make sure that the one that you are returning is the one that their website says will work...Autozone employees are not real car savy, our local Autozone hired people that don't even know that Raybestos Brakes is not owned by Schucks/kragen/partsamerica...so i will never place my shadow in their store again...

Also do research online with different parts suppliers to find what works for your truck...

And also make sure that when they put in the fuel pump that they did not break the pump housing, sometimes the snap-in fuel lines can break and leak at the tank...also if the tank is not making pressure enough for a whoosh of vapor when opening the gas cap it could be like Kyle said that a vent valve is not working properly. and make sure that the Evaporative Emission system is working properly, if the purge valve on the intake is bad then you could have problem also...

Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Chadoo951 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I will try to return it and get my money back. But I noticed that you said that I should threaten to call the BBB. What is the BBB? I haven't heard of that before.
Thank you for your help guys!
Chad

Old 10-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

BBB == Better Business Bureau. (www.bbb.org)

Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude, I totally agree 20Blazer00, never go to auto zone for major sh*t, the only time I go to auto zone is for wiper blades and other small items. I am lucky up where I use to live still has a mom and pops type auto parts store (the guy and older women probably in their late 70s early 80's are more knowledgeable than the freakin' 20 something moron at auto zone. For example the guy told me that the only way to clean my injectors properly was to run engine coolant in the gas tank.lol. What A freakin' dumbass). Even the 80 year old woman can tell ya just about everything you need to know. I totally agree with Kyle somethings not quite right and I think its either the wrong or bad fuel pump. I had this similar thing happen, I did what Kyle told you to do found out pressure was low.My truck had a new regulator and fuel filter and the lines where about 6 months old so I took the pump back to the parts store and found that it wasn't the first time they had problems with the fuel pumps. Got a new one and it run fine.

Oh btw I get about 185-190 miles to a tank if just driving in the city in extremely heavy stop and go traffic and way more highway drivin.
Although I am not sure as I don't I have ever kept count on the highway just track of how many miles I have drove. I guess alot of my mileage is also due to the fact all my friends call me grandpa when they go with me. I never speed and have never had a ticket. I have had a couple of friends die from unsafe driving.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Chadoo951 is an unknown quantity at this point

What would they do?

Im just curious because, like I said, I never heard of them before.
Thanks
Chad

Old 10-02-2007, 12:18 PM

Chad, you file a complaint and they fine the corporation or I think they take legal action but I am not 100% sure about the last part. A friend had to contact them and they got the issue resolved and it was not only resolved but he was awarded damages since it affected his work.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time the BBB scare tactic is enough to get the business to fess up and do what's right. I have never had to follow through with an actual complaint, but I do know many people that have. The BBB is there to keep businesses honest.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Yeah, usually that works but in my friend case when he wanted to return the faulty part they tried pulling that you didn't get that here and then threatened to physically throw him out of the store and call the police. Now you gotta know this guy hes about 6ft-7" and around 435 lbs. so nobody was going to throw him anywhere. They tried everything to keep him from getting his money back (he did have a recipt). After they did there thing he found out they were stealing the sh*t they were selling I don't know how though, I mean this was a business that a ton of people went to and it had been there for a long time. It cost him a ton of money because of the days he had to miss work to deal with it. I don't see him hardly at all any more but when I do I always give him sh*t about it.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Concerning the BBB, this is copied from their website:
When a BBB receives a complaint, we present the complaint to the business and request its assistance in working out the problem with the unhappy customer. Most companies are grateful for the opportunity to resolve problems with their customers since it often means their patronage will be preserved.
BBB members agree to respond to consumer complaints presented by the BBB, and lose their membership if they do not. Most other companies, regardless of whether they are BBB members, also cooperate with the BBB.
However, some companies do not want to work with the Bureau and/or their customers to resolve complaints.Because the BBB is not a government or law enforcement agency, the Bureau cannot force a reply from a company; nor can it administer sanctions. However, a company's unwillingness to respond to the BBB or a customer will be noted in the company's reliability report the BBB provides to the public. The customer is free to pursue other alternatives such as legal action.
So don't think think the BBB is stepping up to bat for you. They are essentially just a middle-man to present a complaint to a member company.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well gas mileage is more of a product of many things. One the burn rate of the fuel you use for powering your vehicle, ie: ARCO uses a blend of ethanol and gasoline which reduces emissions, it also reduces your gas mileage since the ethanol used in the mixture has a lower octane rating than an equal product of gasoline hence the reduction in certain emissions required by law. All the research backs this up and my personal tests with 3 tanks of ARCO and a competitor, I would get about 2MPG's better gas mileage with the competitors gas than with the ARCO gas, and we must not forget that the EPA has mandated that most if not all fuels in the future will be a mix of (corn) ethanol and gas...I forget what year that will be but it will be soon.

And with today's computer controlled engines they will all require and upgrade if the fuel mix is greater than 10% by volume...if your car is older than I think 1998-2000 after that the computers have the code but it is not active. Also ethanol mixed gasolines will require that some fuel lines and hoses will have to be replaced with hoses designed to handle the effects of the ethanol blends, that is why some older Honda's hadfuel delivery problems.

Quick Reply: 100-130 miles to a TANK!