2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 4.3 rough idle/low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 PM
akaSPITTYBAYS is on a distinguished road

No my point on those is to scavenge the clips to replace the ones that always brake on the poppets.
Clean nozzles with your zircon encrusted tweezers and soak them in nonflammable brake clean.

When they run correctly there perfect. The 4.3 is not as smooth as a Honda but any shake should not be noticeable.

Last edited by akaSPITTYBAYS; 03-10-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:00 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Well, I'll see what happens but the idle seems to be better. I think it was just the fact that it was a little dirty and one of the poppets hanging open. I'm going to play with the TPS a bit and see if a little tweaking will get rid of the rest of the problems.
I don't expect it to run like a Honda but I do expect it to run the same consistantly. I am fighting a smooth idle with random coughs as well as a random stumble when applying throttle from a dead stop. The hesitation is worse if I get on it quickly but if I ease into it it is less likely to happen.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TZFBird
...I don't expect it to run like a Honda but I do expect it to run the same consistently....

I've seen some pretty ratty running Blazers in my day, pull a couple of plug wires off and try that

Old 03-13-2015, 03:12 PM

Naa, it's better than that. I have not been in a mid 90's Camry that does not rattle teeth at idle. The Blazer is almost enough to feel the vibration. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Like I've said though, I have no baseline in a good running Blazer to compare it to. Besides the broken poppet clips and leaky steering pump I'm pretty happy with how the engine/drivetrain is.

Lesson #1. If it's not broke don't fix it. I rebuilt the P.S pump because I figured since it had 150K on it why not. Now it chooses to start leaking from the pump to reservuior seal.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If you ever get out this way, you're welcome to drive either one of mine for a comparison

Old 03-13-2015, 06:33 PM

That would be a long drive. I don't own anything that could get me there. At least not without an issue along the way. I tried a 500 mile trip to Colorado once but the GTP decided to throw the supercharger belt around all the accessory pulleys.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 PM

Nice! If you're ever in the neighborhood, the offer stands

Old 03-18-2015, 02:32 PM

Wouldn't you know it, the engine warms up faster now as well.
Started at 30* this morning and started driving. No hesitations, caughing or sputter.
Before I could let the engine warm up for 5+ minutes at 15* and 1 mile down the road the temp was the same today as if I had let it warm up. Not sure if that made sense but to put it simply, the engine warms up almost twice as fast as before. So it was definately an overfuel condition.
When I have a spare vehicle in a few weeks I'll tear the spider down and give it another cleaning as well as get some pictures and explain what I did. Of course this will not work for everyone but it's worth a try before buying a new unit. If it is already "broke" what can it hurt?

What I don't understand is: If the spider can be easily disassembled why do they not sell the tubes/poppets for the pre '96 spiders like they do for the '96+? I see that each tube/poppet for the '96+ is an actuall injector but the pre '96 is just the new style without the small injector on the end.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:35 PM
akaSPITTYBAYS is on a distinguished road

Fast answerer. It's about the Benjamin's.
If you would like to put a re-build kit together and sell it online.
You would need to track down the guys in China that make the poppets, nozzels and clips, then buy a thousand feet of nylon hose.
Now you have all this crap. You have to cut it package it and sell it.

The entire system has become a dinosaur!

How many guys out there like us still running a cpi. We should just be happy they sold enough Astros out there to keep a small parts supply going.

For our trucks its a "Mad Max" world!

Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Oh I would love to get rid of it... the Blazer that is. I do want a nice ZR2 pickup with a 4.8 though.

Quick Reply: 1995 4.3 rough idle/low RPM