2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 Blazer, Desperate for help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That would definitely cause some running problems if the PCM is dropping into fuel enrichment mode to try and warm the engine up.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:44 PM
danb2760 is on a distinguished road

yeah, it was hard to catch, being then when it goes back into loop closed status and back to the proper tempature, after the scanner read the truck readings went back to normal the truck was normal as well, and it gave no ses light or codes, anyway in the next day or so i will drain the coolant, replace the sensor, and flush the radiator and add new coolant and post back up to give everyone my resualts, thanks everyone

NEW question, can i use pestone dex-cool (orange) on my blazer when i put new coolent in after i flush it? and how much does it take?

Last edited by danb2760; 04-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Beginning Member
outsydthbox is on a distinguished road

You might want to "google" dex-cool, and read a few comments before you decide.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...oolant-ok.html

Post # 11, has some info taken from consumeraffairs.org that relates to the blazer.

Regards

Last edited by outsydthbox; 04-19-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by outsydthbox
You might want to "google" dex-cool, and read a few comments before you decide.

New dexcool orange coolant ok? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum

Post # 11, has some info taken from consumeraffairs.org that relates to the blazer.

Regards
The problem with the 96+ 4.3L engines is the crappy intake manifold gasket carriers that swell when they absorb water. Guess what coolant has in it.. If you want to educate yourself on the subject we have a rather lengthy thread discussing this very topic, but read all the way to the end (specifically THIS REPLY). As with anything on your vehicle, if improperly maintained bad things can happen. Dexcool does not prevent bad things from happening and given that crud in a dexcool system floats to the top instead of sinking to the bottom in coolant types with different chemical compositions, you tend to see when there is a problem occurring sooner if you are actually checking & maintaining your vehicle. Feel free to post in the thread linked to above with your questions/comments since it is already on that topic and this thread just asked for opinions on what coolant to use. Lets not hijack this thread.

With that said, some of the aftermarket coolants are better. I would use Zerex's Extended Life or G-05 type coolants.

Flush the system really well with the garden hose then drain the block (pipe plugs on either side behind the motor mounts). Flush 1-2 gallons of distilled water through the block with the plugs out. Reinstall the plugs and put in 1.5 gallons of 100% coolant then top off with distilled water. Burp the system by running it up to operating temperature a few times with the cap off, front end of the vehicle higher than the back end and the passenger side slightly higher than the driver side.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM

well i have green antifreeze in my 95, and the things ive read with dex-cool are not to promising to me, so i called the shop and asked and they said do NOT use the dex-cool. being said i decided to just go with the prestone green (the type able to be mixed with all coolants in all vehicles) anyway another story, boy do i feel STUPID, my haynes repair manual has NOTHING that refers to a coolant temp SENSOR, but has a coolant temp sending unit(so like a retard i thought it was one in the same), so anyway i bought the coolant temp sensor and removed what i thought was it(sensor on the engine on the driverside just above the knock sensor), realized the hook up was different so i walked back to advance thinking i got the wrong sensor and they told me i removed the one to the dashboard temp gauge, but i had the right coolant temp sensor, unfortunatly when i removed it the plastic connector broke off cause it was dry and very britter, anyway he said the coolant temp sensor was on the intake manifold, i found it under the EGR valve just above the water pump, removed the old on, saw that the connectors on the sensor had rust on them(explains why it messes up time to time) i put the new one in and hooked it back up, i wanted to be safe and replace the pigtail while i was working on it but it seemed to be near impossible without removing other things, so hopefully its just the sensor, well tomorrow im going to get my coolant sending unit and then fill it back up with anti-freeze/water and let you guys know what the resaults are

Old 04-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Beginning Member

Hey danb,
I hope things are going well for you. Any updates?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM

well its the 25th, 5 more days till my birthday so hopefully my present to me is that my stalling/surging is done, anyway as i said i pulled the wrong coolant temp sensor(the one that goes to the gauge, not the ecm) so anyway when i pulled that the plastic hook up broke, but i tracked down the right sensor(the coolant sensor between the egr valve and water pump on the intake manifold) so i replaced that, and refilled my coolant(all seems well) got a BWD coolant temp sensor for the gauge, (15 dollars at advace) put that in (then took care of the coolant levels) started the truck and wham within 5 minutes it was up to 210 degrees and stayed there, luckyly this part is VERY easy to get to and work with, so i plugged in my scanner and when the truck was warmed up the coolant temp(taking from the sensor on the intake manifold, NOT the gauge) on the scanner was 180 warmed up, so i went to advance thinking the only thing that could be why it says 210 was a faulty sensor, got a new one (got the 20 dollar 1 the Delphi) plugged that in, all in the tempature area is normal again, turns out i did buy a faulty sensor, this is the 2nd BWD sensor ive had problems with, the 1st was the TPS (i replaced it, a 25 dollar sensor before i got my scanner hoping that would fix my problem) when i put that on it exploded, they forgot to glue the cover on in mexico, so im going to stay away from BWD and pay the extra 10 or so dollars for a better made part from now on, then i changed my oil(royal purple and k&n wrench filter) and put some seafoam in the gas tank(to help clear any carbon or build up in the fuel lines, being that its a 16 yr old truck) and smoked up the neighborhood ha, yesterday took the truck to the river with my girlfriend, ran good, today went out ran around a bit, all seems well as of now, i wanted to wait a few days before i jumped to saying its "fixed", the idle deffinatly seems to be smoother(still wobbles the antena and tach still switches 25-50 rpm, the rpm twitch shows up on the scanner too by the way) im probably going to put delco plugs in sometime soon too(i dont know if i damged the autolite plats when it was running rich and stalling and appearntly flooding itself out) just to be safe and i MAY have a job lined up in the next week or 2 as well, so hopfually my "curses" are over for now atleast, thanks everyone! will keep you guys updated on its running status, thanks to everyone for the help!!!

ill be taking it on a 160+ round mile trip friday ill let you know how it does

Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member

Fingers crossed.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM

well truck did great, just hit 166,657k this weekend, took it back in the woods and trails and stuff to go down to the river a few times behind my parents house that i grew up on, all seems well, no over heating, no surging, no stalling, flew up a 30* incline hill of dirt and gravel in 2wd, and a few times in 4x4hi, all seems well, only thing i noticed out of the normal was when i got home yesterday from another trip after letting it sit in the drive way i noticed a wet spot under it, i checked it and the truck and i found on the truck a tiny bead of green coolant, but its not a major leak, maybe it was overfilled? i still have plenty in the resivour, my hoses seem ok, and my sensors and radiator plug seem fine, but i cant see the little peep hole on the water pump, but as i said its not over heating, its not doing anything what-so-ever wrong, so im just ganna keep my eye on it for a few days and hope it was only overflowed and thats it, will keep updated

Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 PM

just though id update this and let everyone know that my blazer is running great and hasnt surged or stalled sence the sensor replacement and just turned over to 166,666 miles a day ago and that my 13 months of being laid off is at last over, thansk to everyone who helped me, thanks!

Quick Reply: 1995 Blazer, Desperate for help!!!!