2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 Blazer fuel leaking into muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM
ccrage2005@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 Blazer fuel leaking into muffler

I bought a 1995 Chevy Blazer 4x4 4.3l, my son took it out mudding the first day for some reason and while driving it home it just stopped running. The solenoid on the starter was not engaging so I figured the starter was bad and so I changed that. Now it won't start at all, just cranks. Spark from wires looked weak. Changed Plugs and Wires, gets good spark now. Distributer cap and crank look new and changed the coil. The distributer cap is missing a screw on one side. Still just cranks, but almost wants to start after a few tries. I noticed that after several tries to get it started the muffler begins to leak fuel out of it? I checked and can hear the fuel pump turning on, and there is no fuel on top or coming out of anywhere to get to the muffler. Assuming now that fuel is leaking into the muffler itself. Any suggestions? Regulator? Spider? Not really good at diagnosing stuff but I can fix it if I know what to do. Thank you

Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM
AlaskanAngel is on a distinguished road

Not sure if will be helpful or not. But I just bought my sons 95 Blazer. Started having problems with it idleing rough. Found out common for this year (so I am told) to have problems with leaky nut kit and feul pressure regulator. I'm having raw fuel coming out exhaust pipe too.
Not sure if other problems can cause this also. Here's a link to site I found that helped us narrow down to finally figure out our problem. Good luck!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/1995_Blaze...can_you_fix_it

Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ccrage2005@aol.com
I bought a 1995 Chevy Blazer 4x4 4.3l, my son took it out mudding the first day for some reason and while driving it home it just stopped running. The solenoid on the starter was not engaging so I figured the starter was bad and so I changed that. Now it won't start at all, just cranks. Spark from wires looked weak. Changed Plugs and Wires, gets good spark now. Distributer cap and crank look new and changed the coil. The distributer cap is missing a screw on one side. Still just cranks, but almost wants to start after a few tries. I noticed that after several tries to get it started the muffler begins to leak fuel out of it? I checked and can hear the fuel pump turning on, and there is no fuel on top or coming out of anywhere to get to the muffler. Assuming now that fuel is leaking into the muffler itself. Any suggestions? Regulator? Spider? Not really good at diagnosing stuff but I can fix it if I know what to do. Thank you
Are you in Tucson, AZ? I sold a 95 with one screw missing from the dist cap.

Sounds like the spider has let go and is filling the cylinders with fuel. Pull the spark plugs out and see if they are all wet with fuel. Top of the intake comes off pretty easy and quick. Fuel spider not cheap, hopefully just the regulator.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 AM
AlaskanAngel is on a distinguished road

Son tore into it today. Sure nuff..it was passenger side with cleaned away spot. The Feul pressure regulator was shooting out gas as soon as key turned on. Got it replaced and put back together...sweeet! After going thru 50$ worth of gas in just three trips to town (7 miles) gonna be so nice to get better gas milage and smooth ride! lol

Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Are you in Tucson, AZ? I sold a 95 with one screw missing from the dist cap.

Sounds like the spider has let go and is filling the cylinders with fuel. Pull the spark plugs out and see if they are all wet with fuel. Top of the intake comes off pretty easy and quick. Fuel spider not cheap, hopefully just the regulator.
Lol, nope not in AZ. I noticed a strong gas smell on the dipstick as well. Going to try to take the plenum off this week and see. Has to be something, tried just about everything I can think of.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM

I have the opposite problem, my passenger side is dirty while the driver's side is cleaned?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

just read a post about this same problem yesterday. ended up being the spider injector. there are youtube videos, at least 2 ive seen. although 1 was a 5.7.

dont know if you can upgrade to mpfi on a 95 might want to look into that, someone will correct me.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:25 PM

After taking the plenum off and turned the engine on the two gas lines were leaking really bad. I replaced those and put everything back together. Chagned the oil, etc... on the intial try to start there was a loud backfire.... the truck acts like it wants to start but putters for a few seconds and then stops..???Could the new spark plugs be fouled from before?? I can hear the spark when I check during the day coming from the wires.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Ok, this truck is about one day from becoming an artificial reef in the canal. There didn't seem to be good spark going to the plugs so I changed the rotor and cap. I have intermintent spark coming off the brand new coil going to the distributor. I called all around and no one can test the ignition control module for a horizontal distributor (only vertical). I really do not want to spend another $100 to get the ICM and then it doesn't work. Is there a known way to test the ICM? Coil?? I am at a lost here....