2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Leaking muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Leaking muffler

Hey everyone. I seem to have a muffler that has rusted where the tailpipe exits to the bumper. It leaks water when the engine is running and was just started after a cold start from a hidden hole in the seam between the pipe and the muffler. I have reason to believe that exhaust gasses might be entering the cabin of the truck and that it might be from this as there are no other leaks or noise or smell. Can I fix this with muffler repair putty that is in Advance Auto? Or do I need a muffler?

Attached Thumbnails Leaking muffler-2012-01-10_00-00-18_765.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would seriously not even waste my time or money on something like that.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

If you put putty over the hole, the water that is supposed to exit from there will instead collect and pool at the bottom and rust from the inside out.

Man, I understand preventative maintenance, but now you're finding things to 'fix' that are supposed to be there. Do you have Auto-related OCD?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Wait a second. Any hole that is there is SUPPOSED to be there?

No OCD here at all. More of a safety issue. The reason why I suspect exhaust gasses are entering the cabin is because sometimes I feel the beginning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning on longer trips.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Starting Member

Man you are crazy. No way you are feeling carbon monoxide poisoning. I had a 2000 SS Camaro with a decent sized cam, full bolt ons, NO CATS, with an electric cutout dumping the exhaust under the rear passenger seat and could idle in traffic with the windows UP and A/C on and not get a hint of exhaust smell in the cabin.

You realize how many people run dumped exhaust on the street? One pin hole sized exhaust leak is not going to cause you any problems.

From reading and responding to some of your other posts, I can come to the conclusion that you infact do have OCD.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, without degrading you as a person, that hole is supposed to be there. Most modern mufflers have them. It's called a weep hole. Wasn't trying to knock you with the OCD comment, just seems you worry more than three people combined sometimes.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:50 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Yup, its a weep hole they all are correct. It is there to let the water drain out to slow down the rotting out of your muffler. Back in the day when I was working for Midas I had a customer come in and say he put a self tapping screw in the hole to keep it from leaking, in the end he had to replace the exhaust because after we explained to him what the hole was for he removed it but now instead of it being this size * it was this size *(not to scale) but you get the point. He ended causing an exhaust leak sound.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 PM

Oh ok. Thanks. So that rust and water is normal for this.

I am not hearing anything or smelling anything obvious in the passenger compartment that would indicate an exhaust leak, but since I was getting headaches, fatigue, tiredness on longer trips (not longer than 3.5 hours of driving, interrupted by frequent stops for gas and food. On long trips, I leave very early and stop often.) even when I get alot of sleep the night before (I also have some soda and sugar and that doesn't help much) and it seems to mostly resolve itself when I open the windows, I was thinking that I had a leak somewhere causing low levels of CO to enter the passenger compartment. This seems to happen on most trips, the most recent being Sunday night on the way back from northeastern PA going to the Capital Region of NY State (3 hours) and other shorter ones that were 2 hours long. Could I have an exhaust leak somewhere else that is common on the S-10 series?

Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Starting Member

Anything is possible I guess.

Didn't mean anything with the OCD comment either. I have OCD when it comes to my Camaro for sure. Mostly the cleanliness of the vehicle, because no matter what, she will be a loud stinky girl that come spring time will have a bit of whistle to her .

Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Esty is on a distinguished road

House hold carbon monoxide dector put it in your car it will pick up any carbon monoxide leaking in to you cab area

If it gos off you should do 1 of 2 things open your windows and air out the cab or get out and run j/k

Also the soda sugar crash dont help try some power-aid water and fruit or veggies

Quick Reply: Leaking muffler