2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 Blazer v6 Vortec - Front Differential Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 AM
29pineavenue is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 Blazer v6 Vortec - Front Differential Repair

1995 Blazer v6 Vortec - Front Differential Repair

A local mechanic just diagnosed my 1995 Blazer (V6 Vortec) and found that all of my vacuum lines/under battery vacuum canister,electrical/dash button lights and metal cable all the way to the front differential were all operational and engaging the cable into the differential.

However, whatever the cable is supposed to engage inside the front differential is not engaging and is therefore non-operational. Is there a mechanic here on site that can advise me whether it is more cost efficient for me to buy a used (are there rebuilt units available?) front differential and have a mechanic exchange mine out or is it a better option to have a mechanic open my existing front differential to repair the internal problem?

If the recommendation is to repair my existing front differential, what is typically the problem (kindly give me some detail so I understand the difficulty of the repair as the mechanic I am dealing with has never done this previously and he says that it is a big repair job) with these not engaging when all the above components leading to it are operational?

Please also let me know the typical mechanic labor time/hours required to; 1) remove the existing front differential, 2) repair it, 3) cost of typically required internal front differential replacement parts from Chevy, 4) reinstall the repaired front differential, 5) Are there any other routine repairs that should be done while I have the front differential out for repair in terms of the front axles/drive train?

I live near Poughkeepsie NY zip code 12540 and also wanted to ask for any ones recommendations in terms of possibly knowing the name/telephone number of a reputable Blazer mechanic in my area that has had prior experience doing this specific front differential repair which I might use?

I just purchased this Blazer which looked and road tested (according to the 4x4 dash button lights) normally when I test drove it prior to this winter.

However, I was unable to test it on snowy road in which case I would have determined that front axle was really not engaging even though the 4x4 dash light did turn on and I heard a click.

Either the private seller did not know about this problem, or he did know about it which is why he may have been selling it right before the snow was on the ground this winter here in NY? But it is obviously now my problem to solve as I really love the Blazer otherwise.

I look forward to your detailed guidance as I am a bit over whelmed with this nonfunctional front differential news that I received back from the mechanic.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Even if there is damage to the engagement mechanism inside the front diff, it would not be advisable to replace the entire front axle as opposed to replacing the damaged components. The problem with a used axle is that it may have the very same damage as it is common when the rest of the front axle engagement system goes out to cause further damage inside the axle.

There is TONS of information regarding 4wd problems in our Tech Article (DIY) section. have a read through all of the articles or have your mechanic read through all of the articles and fix what needs to be fixed. THIS THREAD will be of particular use if there is a problem internal to the front axle. Part numbers are listed for the affected components.

As far as the repairs go... Lets say that the problem is internal to the front axle. The entire front axle does not need to be removed from the truck. The front axle engagement mechanism is located in the passenger side extension housing which can be removed without pulling the differential itself. For a competent mechanic, that should only take 1.5-2 hours to remove and another 1-1.5 hours to reassemble with the correct parts. That would be for just the engagement mechanism in the front axle and if there is damage there, there will be other components (engagement cable, actuator, vacuum lines, vacuum switch/solenoid, etc) that would need to be inspected to ensure that they are working properly. The parts inside the front axle do not just go bad on their own. Something else needs to happen before these will wear as typically seen.