2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 problem with starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Beginning Member
miffalek is on a distinguished road
Angry 1995 problem with starting

Hi

At the beginning sorry for my english

I bought 2 years ago a 1995 blazer. I just love this car in spite of I'm from poland so the parts are realy expensive (for example vaccum actuator for this car cost here 500$ and the injector 1500$) and the gasolin is f**** priceless 6,5$ for galon but I just love this car.

In this 24 month period I've putted almost 5000$ in parts (new injesctor, vaccum actuator, plugs sparks, filters, bendix, some conectors etc.)

And now I feel defeated. The problem is driving me crazy.

When I'm startin the car for the first time for example in morning before work it starst just fine, turne the keys and its ok, but when it turn the engine off for 10 or 15 minutes and try to start it again - no chance its just spining the starter and nothing else.

In this situation I need to inject a little bit of fuel or some other starter in fron of the collector, then turn the key and the engin starts fine.

What can cause the problem?

I've read to try to change fule pump but it's a little bit expenesive and I rather not throw money away.

The gauges show that battery is ok 14V, the oil presure is arround 300, I've got a half tank of fuel, injector is OK.

I have found some post for 98, but in polland this car is exotic and it's a bit difficult to find a worshop to maintenance this car, when I wanted to change the injector it took mi 3 days to find a mechanic and 180 miles to reach him.

Last edited by miffalek; 07-13-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM
milehighblazer is on a distinguished road

Your experiencing one of 2 problems. its either a part gone bad in the fuel system, or its something called vapor lock.

If its a part then its the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator, or an injector. The was to test for those is with a fuel pressure gauge, and where i live you can rent those from a local parts store for free.......

My guess is that it is vapor lock. Vapor lock is when the fuel in the fuel lines turns into a vapor while the car sits after you have ran it due to the heat from the engine. Then when you go to start it the fuel pump can not pump fast enough to start it with that vapor. I would try to buy some insulation (they sell exhaust wrap for this purpose) and wrap the exhaust up wherever it comes close to the fuel lines.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Beginning Member

THX for replay.

I've changed fuel pump, injector 3 months ago

The second solution is quite tempting, but I've got another question the exhaust is on the other side - fuel pump is under the driver seat, axhaust under pasanger part of the car and the hottest part is the engin so how to isolate the fuel line from transfering the heat from engine block to fuel line? In 95 blazer the fuel line is metal one (I dont knew what metal is it).

What should be the pressure before the fuel filter, after the filter and before the injector I can check is it correct on my own

Old 07-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Vapor lock is a hard thing to stop just due to what you are saying.... it is hard to isolate the fuel lines from the everything else. Ive never had to fix vapor lock on a blazer so i don't know what the best way to go about that is.... it was mainly just an idea. Maybe try searching online for fixes to vapor lock.

For the fuel pressure, it should be about the same on both sides of the fuel filter.... it should change at the fuel pressure regulator. As for specific values you should be seeing I am not sure on that. If you have a repair manual then that will probably tell you, and if you don't I can try to check my manual and see what it says.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Beginning Member

Unfortunately I dont have even a bit idea where to find that repair manual. I've looked throught google but didnt find a thing

Vapor lock sounds easy but when I've looked under the car it's tricky. The fuel line don't go enywhere close to exhaust.

Next time I'll try to mesure the temp of the fuel line near the engnie block and at the other end to see the difference.

I'f you've got that repair manual please send me that presure value I'll check what I've got in my car or even better send me the whole manual or link where to get it.

THX

Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Beginning Member
sidewheeler is an unknown quantity at this point

Your 95 Blazer used an injection system that was changed in 96 to a differant system. the 95 Blazer is very sensitive to low fuel pressure. you need 55+ PSI to start the motor. a cold fuel pump will give you the pressure but when it gets warm if drops in pressure.

Get a fuel pressure gage that will screw onto the fuel pressure testing spot at the rear of the intake manifold on the left side of the motor ( which in the U.S.A is on the left side of the car ), with this done you can watch the pressure as you try to start it. If you are getting less that 55 PSI then it will have problems starting.

I have never seen this model Blazer have a vapor lock problem, It is always low fuel pressure caused by a faulty fuel pump or a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) if it is the FPR then you need to replace the complete spider unit because GM do's not offer the FPR as a replacement part.

However check Linders Fuel Injection Service, they offer a mode to adapt a 96 FPR to your spider which will save you big bucks in the long run. The spider rarely ever goes bad.

The fuel pump is in the gas tank, the item you see under the car is a fuel filter.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by sidewheeler
Your 95 Blazer used an injection system that was changed in 96 to a differant system. the 95 Blazer is very sensitive to low fuel pressure. you need 55+ PSI to start the motor. a cold fuel pump will give you the pressure but when it gets warm if drops in pressure.

Get a fuel pressure gage that will screw onto the fuel pressure testing spot at the rear of the intake manifold on the left side of the motor ( which in the U.S.A is on the left side of the car ), with this done you can watch the pressure as you try to start it. If you are getting less that 55 PSI then it will have problems starting.

I have never seen this model Blazer have a vapor lock problem, It is always low fuel pressure caused by a faulty fuel pump or a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) if it is the FPR then you need to replace the complete spider unit because GM do's not offer the FPR as a replacement part.

However check Linders Fuel Injection Service, they offer a mode to adapt a 96 FPR to your spider which will save you big bucks in the long run. The spider rarely ever goes bad.

The fuel pump is in the gas tank, the item you see under the car is a fuel filter.
Well said sir, The manual says 55 - 60 PSI for fuel pressure. Check your fuel pressure as described above and see what its at.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Beginning Member

I've bought a new pump, the picture of the set is below under the link

My question is how to assamble it together - I have no idea what to do with parts numberd as 4, 5, 6, 7.

I think that 4 is some king of isolation and its going on fuel pump. Am I right and what with rest ?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get the fuel pump assembly out, you will see where everything goes.

What brand of pump is that? Going cheap doesn't always work out for most...

Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Beginning Member

The fule pump in the car was adapted from another car the work of great mechanics from poland

I should get an orginal one but to this one I had easy access and was the best in that short time

Quick Reply: 1995 problem with starting