2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 blaser LS Fuel Pump blew

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:58 PM
shutterbug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1996 blaser LS Fuel Pump blew

Hey Forum. Hope all had a Merry Christmas and an upcoming Happy New Year.
My truck died out today, and seems like its the fuel pump. I was able to get it to a local shop before closing, and they confirmed the pump went bad. They mentioned something to the effect that it could be a bit of a hassle as the pump is in the fuel tank and its hard to get to and drop the tank to replace. Can anyone confirm this? What would a normal fuel pump replacement cost and whats an average labor cost for soemthing like this? Just want to get an idea so I know what Im in store for in the am when they call me with a quote.
Thanks very much for any helpful insight.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:14 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1996 blaser LS Fuel Pump blew

A lot will depend on their shop rate and parts source... the pump from GM is more than $300, because they won't just sell you the pump they also will sell you a new fuel level unit along with it...some sources might sell just the pump but you will have to talk to the shop that is doing the work...you can also check prices on the internet at acdelco.com or gmpartsdirect.com but this will only give you a snapshot of the cost of parts...and yes depending on what year the truck is will determine the complexity of the fuel pump removal, it is located internally in the tank and it has to be lowered, plus depending if how much fuel is in the tank will also affect the removal process since gasoline weighs more than water...

Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 AM
shutterbug is an unknown quantity at this point

Had it worked on friday, drove home about ten miles. Then started to go to work and BAM! shuts down. I coat to side and pull into parking lot and get out to see a bunch of gas leaking out on the ground. Call the shop and they send a tow truck. So missed work friday night, saturday comes around and the mechanic calls and says he didnt put the fuel line clips in. Its all good to go now. I asked him to be sure and go over it as I cant miss anymore work and have an important trip to make 150 miles away. He assures me its good. I get home, get ready to leave, gas up, and just happen to look underneath from a distance to see a nice puddle building up. I can only speculate the mechanic didnt fit the fuel tank on correctly as a bit less than 1/4 tank drained out. Had to baby it home and borrow a car for the trip and now it sits til tuesday morning to be looked at again. Id take it to another shop, but cant afford it now as they already got me for 600. This is really pissing me off as Im stuck til tuesday with no transportation. Would you let the same shop continue to work on it til they got it right? I cant afford to miss anymore work. Shouldnt they be liable for some compensation for being incompetant in thier work or am I jsut haivng a misreable week and being to hard? What do you think or how would you handle this? Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:24 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the last shop that screwed me over got a letter from the Better Business Bureau, if they are not willing to compensate you (refund some of the bill)for the time missed because of their incomptence then let them know of your intensions. Sometimes it helps...

Also let them know that you will keep returning until the vehicle is in the promised shape that they were paid for and that they will have to fix it under warranty for free... also check with your states vehicle repair laws...there should at least be something on the repair invoice that states his policy on warranty... first 30 days should be on him...

Old 12-31-2006, 01:05 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

my mechanic replaced mine with no problems for 6 months.

i payed $1000 canadian.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 PM
filstoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, your mechanic sounds like a dolt. I think he would definitely be liable. I did my 99 Blazer in the garage for $230 (GM employee discount and picked it up at the warehouse) and had it done in a couple of hours. It was a piece of cake. Sounds like he may have used the old O'rings. They should have been replaced.The FIRST thing he should have done after he was finished was checked for leaks. That pump puts out around 60 pounds of pressure. That will pump out a lot of gas real quick !!!!